The Best Wheelchair Wheels In 2020
Are you looking for a great wheelchair wheels bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying the best wheelchair wheels, please click here.
A wheelchair is generally just like any other device that you need to move from place to another. However, to ensure that it remains in a good working condition you need to take good care of it. One of the things that you should focus on is wheelchair wheels. If you don’t take good care of the wheels they may not last long. Choosing the right wheelchair wheels can have one of the best effects on your wheelchair when it comes to manoeuvrability, performance, and comfort.
Since there are several wheels in the market it’s very important that one knows how to take good care of them. Wheelchairs typically come with two sets of wheels the rear and the front ones. However, According to National Wheelchair Services, there are some special rare ones that come with a set of 3 or 6 wheels. These types of wheelchairs include the ones used for racing and other sports as well. If you are shopping for the best wheelchair wheels then click here to raid our in-depth reviews about some of the best ones.
Why wheelchair wheels have to be there
Since there are so many types of wheels for wheelchairs including 12-inch wheelchair wheels, 20-inch wheelchair wheels, 22-inch wheelchair, 24-inch wheelchair wheels, and 8-inch wheelchair wheels, the best wheels are usually determined depending on the purpose that the user intends for the wheels. The different types of wheelchair wheels can be categorised as solid tires, pneumatictires, and flat-free tires. While pneumatic tires are the ones that contain inner tubes that are inflated, solid tires are generally attached to the rims and are made from materials such as plastics and rubber. Which not only makes them maintenance free but durable as well. Flat-free ones are similar to both types.
Types of all-terrain wheelchair wheels
Pneumatic wheels are the types of wheels that are suitable for wheelchair users who are looking for a smoother ride on various terrains. Since their inner tubes are air-filled they are the best wheels for absorbing shocks from rough rides thus allowing the user to enjoy a much more comfortable ride. However, there are several disadvantages to this type of wheels. Since their wheels are much softer than the other wheels, they are bitter harder to propel over different terrains. More so in case of electric wheelchairs that use pneumatic wheels, the batteries tend to last less due to the extra energy that’s needed to propel them.
These are some of the most common types of cheap wheelchair wheels for manual wheelchairs and the best to use over flat surfaces. Since they are denser they usually cause less friction when rotating and make it easier to propel on flat surfaces. These tires are the most durable tire available to users and some of the most common since they do not need a lot of maintenance. However, the main disadvantage of these types of wheelchairs is that they are majorly used for hard surfaces thus limiting the mobility of the wheelchair user. More so since they are not good at absorbing the shocks, they can make the wheelchair user a bit uncomfortable while riding on a bumpy surface.
Flat-free electric wheelchair wheels and powered wheelchair wheels
This type of wheelchair wheel is a mixture of the two other wheels that are discussed above. Since these wheels absorbed shocks well. They not only provide a comfortable ride but also ensure that you use them without the risk of the tiregetting flat. Since they have textures they can always be comfortably used in various terrains since their textures will prevent them from. More so, like the pneumatic tires, they are completely solid hence are a bit harder to propel from one point to the next.
Different type of wheelchair replacement wheels
There are also different wheelchair styles out there in the market. These include
Composite mag wheelchair replacement wheel
These are by far the most common wheelchair wheels styles. And they come with most standard wheelchairs out there. These wheels are made out of fibre glass-like or nylon-like material that’s resilient, strong and lightweight. They are also fitted with different types of hand rims and tires to meet the needs of the entire wheelchair user. The good thing with these rims is that they are maintenance-free and designed such that they can always spring back to their original shape in case the outside pressure warp or bend them.
These are very similar to the spoke wheels of the bicycle and were the main wheelchair style prior to the development of composite wheels. Although these wheelchair wheels are not a must on many wheelchairs models, only the ones who need special functionality from their wheelchairs usually opt for them. In spite of their popularity, composite wheels will always flex during use and this flexing may incase the energy that’s needed to propel the wheelchair. Since these wheels do not flex when they are in good condition they are more efficient.
High-performance wheels just as the name suggests are some of the best wheelchair wheels out there. There are many of them in the marker hence users can always choose the best one. High-performance wheelchair wheels are, therefore, worth considering if you are a wheelchair user.
Wheelchair wheels components and considerations
The smoothness of wheelchair ride, manoeuvrability, speed, and control, usually depends on wheelchair small wheels, casters and tires. For more information about these check out www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk. However, choosing these components is not as easy as you may think. Due to this if you are not sure you need to get an expert who can help you go about this. For instance, a healthcare professional or therapist can help you choose the best wheelchair components. He will ensure that they meet your performance, lifestyle, maintenance, and affordability needs. Here are some of the components of the main wheelchair that you need to know.
As compared to other wheelchair manual wheelchairs usually come with two sets of wheels namely the caster and also known as the steering wheels and drive wheels. On the contrary, a power wheelchair may come with up to three pairs of wheels that is one drive and two caster wheels. Wheelchair wheels are generally made of rim, tire and spokes and hub. While the spokes connect to the rims, the hub iscentre of the wheels and the rim is where the tire is usually mounted.
Spoke replacement wheels for wheelchair resemble bicycle wheels and are made of metal mag wheels, on the other hand, are made of synthetic materials and usually have less than ten spokes. It’s also important to know that wheels come in different sizes while the standard adult manual wheelchair drive wheel is 24 inches a standard power wheelchair drive wheel is 18 inches. The size of the wheels therefore generally affects the comfort and the effort that’s required to move the wheelchair from one point to another. You, therefore, need to choose a drive wheel that will allow you to comfortably sit on the chair while at the same time requires very little effort to propel around. Unlike manual wheelchairs, electric wheelchair wheels are much smaller and are made of softer materials.
Alignment and truing of the wheels
The alignment of the wheelchair wheels is very important. It not only affects the stability of the wheelchair but also how the wheelchair rides, its stability, and the effort needed to propel it. When it comes to aligning the wheels you need to consider components such as camber, truing, and alignment of issue.
How to clean and take care of the best wheelchair wheels
As a wheelchair user, you need to know that the wheels of wheelchair can always become dirt over time. Gravel, mud, twigs, and leaves can easily get stuck on the wheels especially during wintry or rainy weather. Whether you are using a manual or electric wheelchair they are all bound to gather dirt and dust. The bad thing is that they will also carry those things indoors certainly since you want to minimisethe work that you do you need to protect and clean the wheels so you can ensure that they do not carry dirt, stains or dirt indoors. The cleanliness of the wheels of a wheelchair is, therefore, a very important routine that must be carried on with a lot of care.
When you enter your house it’s important to have an area where you can pause and check your wheelchairs. This place should be an area where you have an outdoor rug with a rough bristle surface. Here you need clean you’re the wheels of your wheelchair while your wheelchair is still packed on the mat. This will allow you to shake the debris from the mat on the trash or porch. It can also be a good idea to have a small vacuum cleaner near this area.
How to clean the wheels of manual wheelchair
In order to clean the wheels of a manual wheelchair, you need to wipe them off using car wash glove or damp paper towels. While doing this you need to ensure that any chemicals that you use to clean them do not leave any unwanted results on the floors of stick on the wheelchairs. It’s also recommended to use a bicycle tirecleaner for cleaning your wheelchair so they can come out clean. The good thing about this is that since it’s meant for cleaning the wheels it’s quite harmless to the floor. By using car wash gloves you’ll significantly protect your hands while cleaning the wheelchairs. Since the gloves are washable you can also save a lot of money on paper products. Once you are through, use a hairdryer to dry the wheels.
Since you have to support the wheelchair on its sides cleaning the front wheels of manual chairs requires some more attention. To remove leaves, twigs, and animal skins from the spinning wheels or spokes you need something such as a toothbrush, long-handled brush or even tweezers. A can of compressed hairdryer or compressor can also be used safely and comfortably to remove these.
Cleaning the wheels of an electric wheelchair
As compared to manual wheelchair cleaning the wheels or an electric wheelchair is a bit more difficult. This is because the wheels of these wheelchairs usually come with a deep tread hence are much harder to reach. Before anything, you need to unplug the wheelchair for safety purposes. Also, you need to avoid applying liquids directly to the electrical parts of the wheelchair. However, just like the manual wheelchair damp car wash or wipes can help clean the surfaces. You also need a strong brush with sturdy handles to clean the car surfaces as this is what will help you dislodge any mud or gravel glued on the tires.
If you want to blow out leaves, loose dust, twigs, and leaves it’s important to use a hairdryer or compressed air. This can help you when you are cleaning hard to reach areas such as near the battery region and even other cracks found at the base of the wheelchair. However, since it can be a bit difficult for the user to clean the wheelchair himself it’s important to get a caregiver to help them.
If you have very dirty wheelchair wheels, then it’s important to consult local experts who will advise you on how you can clean the wheels. In most instances, they will advise you to clean the wheelchair in your wheelchair’s washing machine. This is a special device that not only sterilizes but also cleans the wheelchair and other facilities there are also some companies that provide cleaning services for both electric and manual wheelchairs
Clean wheel helpers
There are some innovative products that will not only protect your wheels but will also ensure that they are protected from accumulating dirt wherever you roll and track outdoors. Since these tires covers fit the tires well they will always protect them well. The good thing is that these covers are removable and washable. The company also has water-resistant covers that cover the rear wheels well. In some places, there are also companies that provide cleaning services for those who use wheelchairs.
Check out today’s top 10 wheelchair wheels deals below…
- Rubber Replacement Wheelchair Scooter Cart Wheel Castor Roller 20cm (8 inch) Grey Non Marking Solid Tyre (2 pieces set)
- High-tech polyurethane rubber materials (Non-Marking), smooth, flexible, silent, wear-resistant
- Can be used to replace the broken wheelchair wheels
- Specifications (as shown in pictures): Diameter: 20cm (8"), Hub Length: 5.7cm (2 1/5"), Tread Width: 2.5cm (1"), Hub Bore (axle): 0.8cm (0.3")
- Colour: Black + Grey, Main Materials: (Non-Marking) Rubber
- BRAND NEW 20cm GREY REPLACEMENT WHEELCHAIR WHEEL
- NON-MARKING SOLID POLYURETHANE RUBBER TREAD
- NEW AND SUPPLIED A VAT REGISTERED UK COMPANY - PLEASE CHECK SIZE BELOW BEFORE ORDERING
- SUPPLIED WITH BALL BEARINGS - HIGH QUALITY WHEEL
- DIAMETER : 20cm - BORE WIDTH: 5.5cm - TREAD WIDTH : 3cm - HUB BORE DIAMETER : 0.8cm
- 1 pair of 8 Front Castor Wheels for many Standard Wheelchairs 200x27mm
- heavy duty, wear-resistant, smooth, silence
- Quick knockdown
- Free air, stop puncture
- Perfect for most manual wheelchairs carts front wheel, walking aids
- High Grade alloy and ABS material, durable for use.
- 315mm Overall Diameter
- 1/2" Axle
- Top Brand
- BE COOL! As seen on FOX, ABC, NBC and CBS News, these LED bike wheel and frame lights from Activ Life are the hottest new thing to hit SoCal and trend-setting cities across America. Your bike will turn heads, GUARANTEED! Each box lights 1 wheel so you can mix or match colors. Save 10% when you buy 2 to light up both wheels (read on to learn how). Get Ready to Ride in Style! Only available on Amazon.
- BE SAFE! Gain increased visibility from all directions so you and your loved ones are safer in low light conditions. Normal bike lights can only be seen from the front and back, leaving you vulnerable from the sides. With Activ Lites, your bike will STAND OUT from all angles, whether you are moving or not. Want even more ATTENTION? Switch from “constant on” to “flashing” mode. Get yours now!
- YOU WANT EASY INSTALLATION? You got it! These super cool LED bicycle rim lights fit more bikes than any other model…from 12” toddler bikes all the way up to 29” adult bicycles. NO TOOLS REQUIRED! We even provide an easy-to-follow installation VIDEO so you don’t even have to read instructions. Click the add to cart button now!
- BEWARE OF CHEAP IMITATIONS from Chinese sellers. Only Activ Lites are guaranteed to be the top quality, ultra-bright, long-lasting, waterproof product you expect and include our fast, easy installation video, warranty and…batteries. Yes, batteries ARE included so you’re ready to ride, right out of the box!
- OUR FULL COLOR GIFT BOX is perfect for birthday presents and Christmas gift ideas for boys and girls. Even men and women love them! Each box is for one wheel, so you can mix or match colors to suit your style. Save 10% when you buy 2. Buy 4 now and save 12%. Save 15% by buying 8 or more today and LIGHT UP YOUR WHOLE FAMILY in safety and style. Just use promotional code REALCOOL at checkout. GET YOUR ACTIV LITES TODAY!
- Adopt aluminum alloy material, anti-corrosion and anti-rust, wheelchair can be used as shower toilet. You can also take your wheelchair and place it on the toilet in the bathroom, which is a super practical design.
- Pushing rod design + comfortable backrest + textured handrail + 360° four-inch four-wheel brake, can go out and distraction, become a considerate step tool, free and easy to repair safely and reliably
- The potty is 29 * 33cm, deep 15cm, thick, large capacity, sealed and deodorant, can be used for dual use at the same time, convenient for the elderly, easy to clean
- 360° 4 safety casters, super flexible, can turn in any direction. The rear casters are equipped with a locking mechanism.
- The chair with wc has padded armrests and a comfortable large seat. In addition, it has folding foot pedals to prevent rollover and safety.
- 8 inch solid tyre, heavy duty, wear-resistant, smooth, silence
- Perfect for most manual wheelchairs carts front wheel, walking aids
- Ball bearings using in all joints, brings a max loading capacity and long working live
- Equiped with screws, easy to install and removed
- Can smooth roll over all surfaces
- 315mm Overall Diameter
- 1/2" Axle
- NHS Replacement Wheel
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND FOLDING: The Wheelchair Net Weight Is 16kg, Load Capacity:100kg, Lightweight For Easy Transport, And Folding For Easy Storage, Canvas Backrest And Soft Seat Is Easier To Clean. Ideal To Transfer Of The User To a Car, Bed, Toilet Or Chair.
- ERGONOMICALLY DESIGNED: Ergonomically Designed Self-Propelled Wheel System, Soft Nylon Seat And Back Upholstery For Additional Comfort, Detachable Swing Away Footrest And The Most Comfortable Dual Foot Rest. Suitable For Indoor And Outdoor Use.
- SAFE AND DURABLE: Thickness 0.1cm Steel Frame, Uses a Double Crossbar Support Structure, With a Protective Coating. The Front Wheels Have High Quality Solid Tires, And Are Composed Of High Quality Pressed Steel. The Back Wheels Have Black Solid Tires, Plastic Wheel Handles, #14 . With Steel Brakes
- PRODUCT SPECIFICATION: Unfold Dimension:102 x 68 x 86 CM; Folding width: 28cm; inner seat length of cushion: 45cm;. The width of the cushion is 46cm; the distance between the armrests is 53cm; the height of the cushion from the ground is 49cm, the height of the armrest is 73cm; the height of the backrest is 42cm, the big wheel is 24 inch (59cm) black solid tire, the small wheel is 7 inch (17cm) black solid tire, and the bearing capacity is 100kg.
- FAST ARRIVAL&WARRANTY: Manufacturer 2 Year Warranty Included.This Wheelchair Is In England Warehouse, Free Shipping and You Will Receive It Within 5 days After Place Order ATTENTION: In order to avoid any misunderstanding, please note that these postcode we are unable to delivery: ,JE, GY, Nor could it be delivered to any European country other than Britain. Please contact us if you are unsure
www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk - Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Top tips for buying the best wheelchair wheels
Before you buy new wheels for your wheelchair there are a number of things that you need to consider. Here are some of the tips that will help you buy the best.
• Your usage. This is perhaps the most important thing to consider when shopping for the best wheelchair wheels. In case you spend a lot of time outdoors in your wheelchair then you need to ensure that you choose durable wheelchair wheels that will not only last long but will also serve you the way you want. When shopping for the best wheelchairs for sale this is a very important consideration.
• Compatibility. Since wheelchair wheels come in various sizes and shape you need to choose one that that you feel will fit your wheelchair well. Although there are standard-sized wheels you should always bear in mind that the differences between metric and imperial measurements it’s, therefore, important to consult your owner’s manual so you can get the real specifications for your wheelchair. You also need to verify the dimensions of the wheelchair to save you in case there is any hassle of a return.
• Traction. The tires’ tread and traction are also very important considerations when looking for the best wheelchair wheels to go into your wheelchair. You, therefore, need to choose a wheelchair that comes with decent traction. So that driving onto the ramps can be easier and much less troublesome.
• Ease of use. Another consideration is the practicality of the tire. The best thing to do is to choose wheels that will make getting around a lot easier.
• Tubed or tubeless. Depending on what you are looking for you also need to consider whether you are looking for tubed or tubeless tires
• Cost. Since wheelchairs wheels also vary in prices you also need to consider the cost and how much you are willing to spend on them. This will always ensure that you end up with the best
Purchasing replacement parts for your wheelchair depends on what your tastes and preferences. The best wheelchair wheels should not only be durable but also be able to serve you in the best way. If you are shopping for the best one it’s important to keep any that you come across inside the basket so you can have a look at it later. This will always ensure that you get the best one for your needs.