The Best Wheelchair Trays In 2021
Are you looking for a great wheelchair trays bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying wheelchair trays, please click here.
One of the most important things about wheelchairs is that they help those who cannot do things on their own. They provide them with the ability to move around, to transport themselves from one place to another and do a host of other things also. However, for them to achieve all these they must have different kinds of accessories and among these accessories are the wheelchair trays.
Those who are stuck on wheelchairs no longer need to live that way. With the best wheelchair trays and other accessories, they can quickly regain their independence and begin to do the things that they could not do before. With the recent advancement in technology, being stuck in a wheelchair is no longer as bad as it used to be before. With the best wheelchair tray, wheelchair users’ lives can be made a lot a lot easier. Although it might seem as if it’s a very simple accessory, it’s an item that will make their lives comfortable. If you are looking for the best wheelchair trays click here to read our in-depth review.
Benefits of wheelchair trays
Although people tend to dismiss simple things what they don’t know is that even small things can significantly boost the quality of their lives. For instance, even though a wheelchair tray is a very simple thing it can significantly boost one’s life. Here are some of the benefits that you can enjoy by getting the best wheelchair trays
• With the best wheelchair tray, you can eat more comfortably. Eating while on a wheelchair can sometimes be one of the most difficult tasks. Since most people depend on the table it means that if the dinner table is too low for your wheelchair to fit underneath you may end up sitting very fact from it on the same note if the table is too high and you can’t adjust the height of your wheelchair it means that you’ll be placed in another uncomfortable position again. However, with the best wheelchair tray, you cannot just go wrong. It’s not only positioned at the most suitable height but can also eat in the most comfortable way.
• You can eat anywhere. If you do not want to sit at the dinner table you can always eat anywhere provided you have the best wheelchair tray. For instance, with the best tray, you can eat while watching TV, or just chatting with other people in the living room. With the best tray, your dining table can be anywhere you want. You do not have to depend on overbid tables of coffee tables. With the best tray, you just need to set up the tray and eat outside or even in the middle of your backyard depending on what you prefer.
• It’s versatile. The wheelchair tray is not meant for food only. You can also do a lot of other stuff as well. You can hold your laptop there, read, sew or do anything that you enjoy and that’s supported by the tray. According to National Wheelchair Services, you can use the best wheelchair tray for whatever you want. However, since they come with weight limited you need to consider this before choosing one.
• They can be taken off. Honestly, if a wheelchair tray does not come off then there is no need to buying it. In fact, there are no such trays in the market. The good thing with wheelchair trays is that you can only use then when you want. When you don’t want to use then you can easily do away with them. Most models are also very easy to set up and bring down thus making them some of the best accessories out there in the market.
Types of wheelchair tray models
Wheelchair trays normally come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and materials to provide answers to several issues that wheelchair users have. They eliminate the need to roll up under the table to do things such as eating meals, writing reading, using computers and other communication devices. This means they also provide you with a surface that you need to work on. Since they are installed on the armrest of a wheelchair, they can only be stable if the wheelchair comes with full armrest. For more information about this check out www.natioanlwheelchairservices.co.uk
The more stable the arms are, the more stable the wheelchair trays will be. It’s, therefore, very important to consider the wheelchair armrest when shopping around for the best tray. Some trays also use a slide-in bracket of some sort that slides over the wheelchair pads for easy removal. There are also others that use mechanical clamps and Velcro straps that some people may find very easy to use. Here are the main wheelchair tray models
Skill Care Removable Wheelchair lap tray
These wheelchair trays from Skil care is not only a soft model but also provides you with all the comfort that you need. However, since they can be used as hardtop as well they are very much convenient to be used for meals. When you want to use them for this you just need to turn them over and you are good to go. They can easily turn from soft-top to hardtop within no time. This is why those who are using it have declared that they are more than satisfied with it.
According to National Wheelchair Services, these wheelchair trays meant for wheelchairs that have a width of about 18 inches. They are also fitted with a secure strapping system that will ensure that the tray remains stable while using it. However, since the straps go around the wheelchair in the back it may take you some time to learn how to use them. Although you can ask for help so you learn how to use them, in most instances you’ll be able to do this after only a few tries. Since they weigh only 3.6 pounds they should not be difficult to handle. These are made of plastic and also come with a soft plastic cover to ensure that they are waterproof. Since they are very easy to maintain and clean several people using wheelchairs love it.
NEEP wheelchair tray table
These wheelchair lap trays from NEEP come with hard top that makes it suitable for meals and other forms of activities that require one to have stable support. You can always use it to put your laptop, read, play games, or do anything else that you want to do. Although they are made of steel they are still lightweight enough hence anyone can comfortably use them. Since they come with Velcro and straps they are very easy to install and disassemble. They are also fitted with secure easy release cushion that’s meant to provide you with posture support. As compared to others, they will ensure that the user is supported while sitting.
Since they feature raised moulding they will prevent you from slipping things or drinks on the floor. On the same note, they will stop items from falling or rolling off the tray. They are also fitted with a cup holder hence you can move around with them without spilling anything. Since they are easy to clean and maintain they are quite suitable for any wheelchair user.
DMI wheelchair tray
These wheelchair trays from DMI are also another convenient wheelchair tray that you can use for your needs. They are fitted with a hardtop that will give you the support that you require to carry on with your activities with relative ease. Since you can use them for almost anything the hardtop will provide you with the support that you need for your day to day activities. These wheelchair trays fit almost all the normal standard wheelchairs out there.
Just like other trays, they feature raised moulding that will prevent liquids from spilling on the floor or small items from rolling on the ground. Since they have semi-round design it means that they are not only convenient to use but you can always carry them around wherever you want to go to. Since they are made of wood they are a bit heavier than other models out there. However, the good thing with them is that they are very easy to install. There loop and hook will always ensure that they remain secure. Overall, they are also very easy to clean so you don’t have to worry about the cleaning process.
Wheelchair tray style
Wheelchair trays usually come I tow basic styles namely the full tray that extends from one to another and have larger surface and half tray that’s mounted either on the left or the right arm of the wheelchair hence is intended more of support or armrest for the user. Sometimes referred to as hemi trays, half trays often come with hinges attach them to the slide on the bracket so they don’t flip off the way when not needed.
Tray material and surface
Wheelchairs trays are usually made from some type of wood or plastic. As compared to other trays the wooden ones are usually more solid. For those who use their trays for support and other activities, they can always have them padded or upholstered. The plastic wheelchairs trays also tend to be a little lighter in weight hence can easily be modified the way one wants. These trays can either be clear or solid coloured. When it comes to these trays, there are two schools of thought on whether solid or clear trays are needed. The proponents of clear trays prefer full clear trays since children like something that they can use to see their lower body with a lot of ease.
Support wheelchair trays
Wheelchair trays that are used for support are often upholstered and padded but they don’t have to be. This is because regular wheelchair trays will work just fine. But if the user needs a softer area to rest their elbows then a small pad can be made from some foam. More so, trays that are used for support do not have to be fairly solid support trays can also be made more effective by being fitted with additional accessories. For instance, elbow pads and lateral pads can always be added unto them to make them more stable so they can be used well. Once the torso is supported the wheelchair user will find them easier to use and control.
Wheelchair trays for power wheelchairs
These wheelchairs trays are pretty much the same as the ones for manual wheelchairs. With the exception that they have some allowance that is meant for the joystick. Although some of them are made with cutouts for the joysticks these cutouts are not always fitted in the right place for the user. It’s, therefore, not uncommon for the dealers to purchase normal trays and custom cut them to fit their requirements and needs. Using half tray on the same arm can be a very big issue but with some creativity, a good service tech should be able to make this work in the best way.
How to clean wheelchair tray
Since wheelchairs trays are used for a number of things including eating, proper care and maintenance for them are not only hygienic but also means that they will be presentable. Although the cleaning process depends on the materials that they are made of, once you have some basic things cleaning should not be as hard as you think. Whether its wooden or plastic trays you need a sponge, water, dish soap, and dry towel to clean them well. Here are a few basic steps that you need to follow.
• Wipe away all the food remnants or anything that might have stuck on the tray. However, while doing this you need to avoid pouring large amounts of food or other solid materials into the sink and you may end up blocking the sink.
• Place the tray in the sink and then turn on the tap to rinse any material that might be stuck on it. You should then allow the water to run over it until it runs clears.
• Add a few drops of dish soap into the water if there are still some remnants remaining on the tray and then use a plastic scrubby sponge to scrub them off so they can come out of the tray.
• If there are stubborn stains you can allow it to soak in a sink of warm soapy water overnight to ensure that you remove everything. When you wake up you can simply give it simply scrub and rinse it well.
• Allow the wheelchair tray to dry completely or use a dry clean towel to wipe it clean so it can be clean and be ready to use again.
Check out today’s top 10 wheelchair tray deals below…
Top tips for buying the best wheelchair tray
Since there are several wheelchair trays in the market you need to know how to choose the best one for your needs. Here are some tips that will help you choose one.
• Make. Before anything else you need to consider whether you are looking for a hard or soft wheelchair tray. Since this is a matter of preference if you intend to use the wheelchair entirely for food then you need to go with a hard top wheelchair tray. This is because soft tops are not as stable as hard ones. Although they are still comfortable it all depended on the model that you’ve chosen and what you want to use it for. You may also buy one with padding that will provide you with the support that you need.
• Plastic and wood. This is also another matter of preference. Although wood may be a bit cheaper than plastic it tends to deteriorate faster. It may also lose its colourafter some time time to friction. More so, in case its bad quality it may splinter and makes thing worse. However, if you choose a high-quality wood tray that will not happen. On the contrary, plastics come with several benefits including easy cleaning cheap and may last longer. Considering this is very important when shopping for the best wheelchairs for sale.
• Size. You also need to choose a wheelchair tray based on the size of your wheelchair. This is simply because not all wheelchairs are created equal. It’s, therefore, important to read all the specifications well so that you can shop for the best one. Remember if the tray is too big or too small you cannot secure it in a wheelchair. Otherwise, you may end up with the wrong tray that you may not even need.
• Assembly and disassembly. Although there are several systems out there Velcro provides the most convenient wheelchair to install. Remember, if you are already in a wheelchair it’s not like you can get up and install the wheelchair tray. Since Velcro is easy to handle it will not require you to have any tools for installations.
• Weight. If you’ll be handling the tray alone then it should be lightweight. One of the most difficult things is managing a heavy tray. Remember the whole purpose of the tray is to ensure that like becomes easier.
• Additional features. The more features the tray has the better. So you need to choose a wheelchair tray that also comes with additional features such as cup holders among others.
If you are searching for the best wheelchair trays it’s important to keep any that you consider so you can always review it later. This will provide you with the best wheelchair trays.