The Best Wheelchair Gloves In 2020
Are you looking for a great wheelchair gloves bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying ultra lightweight wheelchairs, please click here.
The wheelchair is one of the best things to have for those who have mobility issues. However operating a manual wheelchair requires the use of hands and this may lead to blisters, calluses strains among other things. The main reason why wheelchair gloves were invented is to protect the hands of a wheelchair user. Arm and hand strength are always very important to many wheelchair users. Although arms are not meant to replace the legs they often do. Although this depends on the type of mobility issues that one has, if you have a manual wheelchair that requires the use of your hands then you need the best wheelchair gloves.
This is because the repetitive use of your hands to propel or starting, propelling and stopping the wheelchair is likely to cause blisters, pain, calluses and other forms of discomfort. Moreover, your hands are likely to be affected by severe weather conditions. This is why you need to have the best wheelchair gloves for your use. However, since there are different types of gloves in the market choosing the best one for your needs can sometimes be a bit challenging. If you are looking for the best wheelchair gloves, click here to read our in-depth review of the best one.
Benefits of the best wheelchair gloves
Just because your mobility has been reduced doesn’t mean you have given up on your freedom. You still want to be able to enjoy going outside as often as possible, whenever you want and even spend time with your loved ones the way you like. Since you still want to enjoy the things that matter most to you don’t want to be hindered by the kind of wheelchair that you are using. For more details check out www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk
The problem is if you use a manual wheelchair then your hands are likely to be subjected to pain and injury. The repetitive motions of propelling, starting and stopping your wheelchair are likely to compress the nerves in your hands and subject them to a lot of pain. More so on a rainy day getting a grip of your manual wheelchair may be a bit challenging since touching the wheelchair rims may be a bit too cold.
This means without proper protection and precautions, maintain the kind of like that you want to live while having a wheelchair might be the hardest thing. This might even stop you from doing what you enjoy doing. And even make some of your favourite activities harder and even less enjoyable. Thankfully, with the best wheelchair gloves, you’ll definitely get the protection that you need to protect yourself. The right wheelchair gloves will keep your hands stable and protected while you are pushing your forward this reducing the pressure that you may place on your joints and hands as well. These gloves will also help you in maintaining proper form while operating the wheelchair. This means that your movement will be much more efficient while outside there. This is according to National Wheelchair Services.
Even if you already have some hand issues you’ll still find that wheelchair glove are very much helpful. If you have blisters and calluses the wheelchair gloves will provide the padding that you need for you’re between your skin and the wheels so that there will be much less pain caused. More so if you normally experience chronic hand pain there will be less pain caused by the movement of your hands. Overall provide you get the right wheelchair gloves you’ll not only feel comfortable when using your wheelchair but also prevent all that pain that you may experience.
Why you need the best wheelchair gloves
• To protect your hands. The primary reason why you need the best wheelchair gloves is that you can protect your hands. As a wheelchair user, your hands are far more important to you than even the person who is assisting you. They are what you need to maintain your freedom and independence while using the wheelchair. Good wheelchair gloves will, therefore, prevent the formation of calluses and blisters and ensure that your hands remain stable while operating the wheelchair. Even if you already suffer from pain and blisters wheelchair gloves can still be helpful to you.
• To make up for limited upper body strength. If you are a person with limited upper body strength then you need to get the best wheelchair gloves to ensure that will make it a lot easier to move your wheelchairs from one point to another. Since using your wheelchair requires a significant amount of strength you should get the best gloves so you can reduce the amount of force and effort that you need to operate your wheelchair in an easy and efficient way.
• So you can always boost your grip on the wheelchair. Even if you are not susceptible to blisters and calluses and you have any limited arm strengths, gloves for a wheelchair, will significantly boost your grip on the wheelchair. Wheelchair gloves just like circling and powerlifting gloves will are specifically designed in such a way that they will improve your grip. Apart from this the gloves will also help you improve your turning radius while using the wheelchairs. As a matter of fact, many of them come with grip pads placed I exact places whether the hands are supposed to make contact with the wheels to ensure that pushing the wheelchair becomes easy.
Types of wheelchair gloves
Fingerless wheelchair gloves
This refers to wheelchair gloves that have been designed by the wheelchair manufacturers for users who want to expose part of their fingers so they can also do other things other than operating their wheelchairs. Apart from providing one with greater grip and protection, they will also ensure that the user can still engage in doing other things as well.
Global leather wheelchair gloves
Global leather wheelchair gloves were originally developed by the founder himself a wheelchair user. Constructed from the finest leather type of wheelchair glove has been designed with comfort in mind and also fitted with extra padding that will provide you the benefit of guarding and extra protection. These gloves are also made using a Velcro strap and stretch cuff that will give you flexibility and comfort. Since these gloves can last long they are usually a must-have for any wheelchair user. They also have classic fingerless ones that will give you more freedom and movement while using your wheelchair thus making them the best wheelchair gloves that you can ever have.
Harness wheelchair gloves
Apart from being some of the best racing gloves harness wheelchair gloves are also some of the best gloves out there. Unlike other gloves, these wheelchair gloves have been made with the finest materials and workmanship so that they’ve come out to be some of the best gloves out there. As some of the most innovative racing gloves, these wheelchair gloves will make every stroke count while using a wheelchair. To absorb the shock that might come while using the wheelchair, these gloves are also padded in the best way. Whether you are a novice beginner or someone who has been using a wheelchair for some time, these are some of the best wheelchair gloves that you need to try out.
Kevlar wheelchair gloves
These wheelchair gloves refer to full-fingered gloves that not only provide you with all-round support but also unrivalled grip that you need for your everyday use of the wheelchair. This means that when used in sports they will provide you with the kind of performance that you need. They are fitted with an ergonomic pad that will help absorb the pressure that comes to your hands so you always prevent the numbness in your fingers while using them. This means that they are some of the best wheelchair gloves out there. Since these gloves boast of double stitching they are not only durable but also suitable for all your moving needs.
Wheelchair gloves for quadriplegics
Wheelchair gloves for quadriplegics are unique wheelchair gloves that are meant to help quadriplegics and other people who have limited dexterity by making it less strenuous and more efficient to manoeuvre the wheelchair and enjoy other daily tasks that they may be interested in doing such as dressing and transfers. The gloves will provide the user with the kind of independence that they need and end up improvising the quality of their lives. Since they’ve been made with quality suede and easy tacky palm inset it means that they are some of the most valuable resources that they can ever have.
Women wheelchair gloves
Since women are physically different there are wheelchairs gloves that have designed specifically for them. These wheelchair gloves have been made from lightweight materials that will allow them to use the wheelchairs in the most comfortable way. They also have no-slip padding to give the women a firmer hold and grip while using their wheelchairs.
Winter wheelchair gloves
If you use wheelchair gloves then you understand the challenges that might come about especially during winter. Thankfully, winter wheelchair gloves are specifically designed to provide you with the protection and warmth that you need during those hard weather conditions. Since these gloves have been made with heavy stitching and high-quality materials they will even outperform all the other wheelchair gloves out there thus making them the right gloves to use during winter.
Main characteristics of gloves
Wheelchair gloves can usually be made with a range of materials each one of them with its own share of pros and cons. Different wheelchair materials may also be fitted on different wheelchair gloves to provide optimal performance. Here are some of the main materials
Leather. Since leather is tough and durable it’s one of the most opt for the of wheelchair gloves out there. Apart from that, it’s resilient to wear hence can always withstand the process of daily washing. Even much better it’s waterproof breathable and flexible. However, most wheelchair glove that is made of leaver is always made with a combination of other materials as well.
Neoprene. This is also another type of wheelchair glove material out there. Since its rubber lies material it usually provides a lot of stability and sturdiness as compared to leather. Besides, it’s light, waterproof and flexible thus making it one of the best wheelchair materials as well.
Lycra. As compared to other wheelchair glove materials this one is perhaps one of the best out there. Since this wheelchair glove material is elastic it means that it’s also flexible and comfortable thus naturally fits the hand. However, it’s not as waterproof and durable as other materials.
Suede. This is the most stylish wheelchair gloves. The good thing about it is that it also comes with several advantages that you can enjoy. To produce a good looking wheelchair glove it’s usually companied with other materials as well.
Full finger or half finger wheelchair glove
Since operating a wheelchair requires dexterity you’ll still need to do other things apart from operating your wheelchair. This means that the traditional full finger glove may be a hindrance to the things that you do this is why you need to get half wheelchair glove so as to enable you to do these things. Because of this most wheelchair glove users are now manufacturing half finger wheelchair gloves that allow the top of your fingers exposed so you can use them the way you want. Although you can always move your fingers the way you want the still remain exposed while using the wheelchair. The bad thing is that these wheelchair gloves do not protect you from soreness, blisters, wetness, and coldness.
Padding is usually what determines the comfort of a wheelchair glove that one needs to have. Normally this padding is not only thick but also covers the entire area of the hand that comes into with the rim of the wheelchair. Good wheelchair padding will always protect the wheelchair wearer from calluses and blisters that they may have. When padding is made of rubber it also provides the wheelchair user with the maximum grip that they need. Some of them are also made with gel to provide cushioning and protection to wheelchair users.
To provide you with the comfort that you need during use a wheelchair glove should have strapping that can put it into place. Due to this, these wheelchair gloves are fitted with cuffs and fastenings. Most fastenings are made of Velcro which is not only easy to use but also sturdy and solid as well thus making them the best materials to fit on them. There are also gloves that are fitted with a stretchy cuff s that provide a comfortable and firm attachment
Check out today’s top 10 wheelchair gloves deals below…
Top tips for buying the best wheelchair gloves
With a variety of wheelchairs for sale and wheelchair gloves in the market you always need to know what you are looking for so you can choose the best one for your needs. Here are the tips that will help you choose the best.
• Comfort. This is by far the most important consideration when looking for the best wheelchair gloves for your needs. If your gloves are not comfortable then you might not wear them for long. While many people prefer leather gloves because of the comfort that they come with all these depend on the tastes and preferences of the user.
• Support. It’s also very important to focus on the comfort that your gloves will provide you with. Since your hands and wrists are always under a lot of strain when using your wheelchair, you should get the best wheelchair gloves so as to minimisethis.
• Flexibility. If you want to manoeuvre your wheelchair the way you want then you need to ensure that you choose wheelchair gloves that will allow you to have a full range of motion. If they do not do this then you are likely to run into trouble by getting your wheelchair turning and moving very easily. As you’ll not have a decent grip.
• Padding. This is also another very important thing when shopping for the right padded wheelchair gloves. Although most gloves are thick and protective you may also find some that lack these features while the padding is usually made of rubber you may also find others that have gel padding. Since padding goes a long way towards preventing blistering and calluses you need to consider having them on your gloves.
• Durability. As a regular wheelchair user, you don’t want your wheelchair gloves to wear out after only a couple of weeks of use. Although they are not super expensive, they are also not very cheap. While the most durable gloves are made of leather you’ll end up replacing them if you choose the ones that have been made using quality materials. However even while considering this, you need to think about the brand so you can get the best. This is according to National Wheelchair Services.
• Material. Many wheelchair users have always complained about the breathability of their gloves. If your wheelchair gloves are not breathable, you may end up with irritated sweaty and sore hands. This is a very important factor to consider since it will eventually impact on the level of comfort of your gloves.
• The style. When looking for the best wheelchair gloves, you also need to consider the style that you need to choose. From fingerless to full gloves, there is a number of gloves that you can always choose.
In summary, the right wheelchair gloves should allow your hands to breathe, be flexible, be comfortable and supportive and also provide you with the protection that you need. If you are shopping for the best wheelchair gloves to buy it’s important to keep any that you’ve found inside the basket so you can always review it later. This will ensure that you get the best for your needs.