The Best Travel Wheelchair In 2020
Are you looking for a great travel wheelchair bargain? Check out today’s top deals below for the best wheelchairs for sale. Or to read our guide and tips on buying a travel wheelchair bargain, please click here.
The ultimate goal of any wheelchair user is always to be as flexible and as reliant as possible. Individuals normally use wheelchairs for many different purposes and different mobility problems. But what’s the best travel electric wheelchair and is there any advantage of using one? Well, transit wheelchair refers to the type of wheelchair that you can always use to move from one place to another. As compared to other wheelchairs it’s not only portable but lightweight as well.
These types of wheelchairs are, therefore, suitable for those who cannot use motorised or regular wheelchairs to move from one place to another because of their physical or even mental abilities. These wheelchairs are also the lowest priced wheelchairs that are currently in the market. Depending on what you are looking for, it’s always very important to choose the best one for your needs. If you are shopping for the best travel wheelchair, click here to read our in-depth review of the best ones.
Benefits of travel wheelchair
Many wheelchair users normally prefers the freedom and enhanced mobility that comes with travel wheelchairs. However, there are also other reasons why you need to choose the best travel wheelchair for your needs. Whether you are active travel or you just want to save some energy choosing the right travel wheelchair may be the best option for you. Although choosing the right transport wheelchair depends on a number of factors the most common ones include the quality of life that they give you and your comfort. Here are some more advantages of travel wheelchairs
• They will provide you with enhanced performance. Travel wheelchairs are the right wheelchairs to use especially if you intend to go on vacations. With the right type of travel wheelchair, you can enjoy the trip of your lifetime. They will provide you with the freedom that you need to travel anywhere you want with a lot of ease. This means that they will make all the difference that you need in your world.
• You can travel with confidence. With the best travel wheelchair, you can always travel with confidence. They are made in such a way that they can even outlast the lifetime of normal wheelchair in the market. Since they can always withstand therigours of travelling you can be confident that they will satisfy all your travel needs. Even when you are moving o rough terrain they can perform at a good level that’s even superior to other wheelchairs out there. You can rest assured that they will last for long.
• According to National Wheelchair Services, they can save you on storage space. Since travel wheelchairs are easy to fold and carry, you can always carry on with your daily activities without worrying about where you can keep them. As compared to other wheelchairs, they are designed in such a way that they provide the comfort and convenience that one needs. Whether its train car or bus they can fit in there and be moved with a lot of ease.
Who should use the best travel wheelchair?
People normally use wheelchairs for a number of reasons. Even if you are not permanently disabled you can always benefit from using a travel wheelchair. As a matter of fact, lightweight travel wheelchairs are always suitable for those who still have the use of their limps or those who are experiencing temporary injuries out there. For information check out www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk.
Elderly people who have difficulties walking from one place to another may also benefit from using the right travel wheelchair. They are also a great option for grocery shopping, running errands especially among those who struggle with certain types of mobility and other things altogether. As long as you want to maintain your independence while travelling a good travel wheelchair should be suitable for you.
What materials are the most suitable for a travel wheelchair?
The materials used to build the frame of travel wheelchair are always of very great importance. Although many traditional wheelchairs are made of durable steel, steel is not light. Depending on what you need to travel wheelchair for you need to ensure that the material that you use is slightly light so as to allow you to carry it from one place to another depending on where you want to go to.
If you can choose aluminium or titanium material you’ll always ensure that your wheelchair is light in weight hence you can be able to move it from one place to another. More so, if you have mild to moderate mobility issues, your chair should weigh at most 50 pounds so as to allow you to use it well.
Also, the good thing about these chairs is that they are designed with lightweight that can significantly help you to save space especially if you are travelling from one place to another. Mobile chairs such as these are also other perfect options for those who prefer less hassle and don’t mind sparing a little comfort to boost their mobility.
Which wheels should you go for?
Depending on your travel needs the size of the rear wheels of your travel wheelchair is very important. If you want to propel yourself then larger wheels are the best ones. On the contrary of you have a caregiver who can always propel you then you need to choose small wheels since in most cases you’ll be pushed by the caregiver.
When it comes to these wheelchairs putting comfort is also of paramount importance. You need to choose a wheelchair that you can use and travel with for long without feeling uncomfortable at all. Thankfully, the good thing about these wheelchairs is that they can always be customised depending on your needs. Just ensure that you make your wheelchair your own and you don’t overlook your needs while searching for the best one. This is according to the best travel wheelchair reviews.
How to travel with your travel wheelchair
By nature, travel is one of the most complicated things that you can ever engage in. if you add hours of research and planning you might end up making many mistakes. What can make things even more difficult is when you are a wheelchair user. Here are the best tips to help you travel with your travel wheelchair
Did you know that most airplanes have wheelchair closets that you can use to store your travel wheelchair? Believe it or not as hard as travelling with a travel wheelchair might be, there are several ways through which you can ensure you enjoy a smooth ride. Here are some tips to help you if you are travelling on air
• Once you’ve booked the ticket you need to contact the airlines immediately. You need to inform the airline well ahead of time that you need extra checks and features since you’ll be travelling with your wheelchair. Think of anything that you think you may need help with and inform them about that.
• Know the rules about using the wheelchair. Since different airports have their own set of rules you need to get I touch with them so you can know all of them. Remember there are some airports that only allow you to use the wheelchair up to the get so you need to know about this you can arrange on how to keep your travel wheelchair.
• Get ready for security checks. While travelling with your wheelchair you always need to be ready for any security check that you might meet along the way. Remember that your travel wheelchair will also be inspected and screened so it’s important to take off any removable parts and also avoid wearing any metal as much as you can so you can travel smoothly.
• Make sure you choose your seat ahead of time. Even if it will cost you some extra cash always ensure that you choose your seat ahead of time. Although airlines have specially seats that are meant for those who have disabilities, there are certain seats that are much better than the others so ensure that you know about them in advance. Also, try booking a space in a second row as this place might be both accessible and easier to sit on.
• Make sure you know how to assembled and disassemble your travel wheelchair. You should also ensure that you have all the instructions needed to assemble and disable your wheelchair. Sometimes if your travel wheelchair is too big you may need to disable it so it can properly fit in the storage space allocated. Although the airlines may cover the cost of repairs and damages 100 % it’s very important to be extra careful so you can avoid this.
• Have a plan when nature calls. To ensure that the bathroom used in the aircraft is bigger enough to accommodate your wheelchair ensure that the travel wheelchair that you use is small enough to fit there. Although flight assistance is allowed to assist you to get into lavatories they are not allowed to get inside with you. If you don’t think you’ll be able to transfer yourself from the wheelchair to the toilet ensure that that you travel with someone who can always assist you with this. This way you’ll have a smooth transfer.
• Make sure you arrive early. As a wheelchair user, always ensure that you arrive early. You should get to the airport even early since you’ll require more time to get into the wheelchair as compared to other wheelchair users.
• Take your seat cushion with you to the plane. Before your travel wheelchair is stored by the air place make sure you take your seat cushion with you. Since it will help you with positioning and comfort you can use it throughout the flight. It will also lower the chances of your cushion getting lost along the way.
• Carefully check all the information on your tags. Request for a gate label check for your wheelchair and ensure that the information matches the information about your destination. You don’t actually want to lose your wheelchair while travelling.
• Ask if you can pre-board. Since some airlines provide this service you need to ask whether you can pre-board so you can search for a seat early enough. This way you’ll always find the best seat that you need.
• If you have a power travel wheelchair makes sure you provide extra information. In case you are travelling with an electric wheelchair ensure that you provide al the information that the airport and the wheelchair needs.
Additional tips that you need to know
• Take a medical test that proves that you can travel.
• If possible use a manual travel wheelchair
• Before going into the plane take a photo of your wheelchair just in case.
• Take your travel wheelchair repair kit with you.
• Take any individual parts of the wheelchair together with you into the plane.
• Leave all the unnecessary items in your bag or suitcase.
• Communicate all your needs and requests to the airline staff.
Difficulties that you might face while travelling with travel wheelchair
• Being abandoned by the plane. As a disabled person, you need to plan ahead so you can avoid being abandoned by the plane.
• Not being able to travel with your wheelchair. Unlike buses and trains it’s still possible to stay in your travel wheelchair while you are inside the plane. If you are not able to use your wheelchair this can be a bit challenging.
• Your wheelchairs being damaged. While travelling with your wheelchair it’s also possible for your wheelchair to get damaged. So you need to be very careful while using one.
• Banning of the wheelchairs. There are some planes that may not allow you to travel with a wheelchair so you need to be aware of this.
Check out today’s top 10 travel wheelchair deals below…
Top tips for choosing the best travel wheelchair
Before buying the best travel wheelchair it’s very important to know the difference between travel wheelchair and other regular wheelchairs in the market. As compared to other wheelchairs travel wheelchairs are not only compact but also lightweight in nature thus making them the easiest to use for travelling. While choosing the best one can be a bit challenging these tips should help you buy one.
• Supplier. This is perhaps one of the most important to consider when looking for the best travel wheelchair. Always ensure that you buy one from a reputable manufacturer. This is because in case of anything they will fix it for you since most of their wheelchairs come with a warranty.
• Insurance. You also need to consider whether the travel wheelchair that your purchasing is worth insuring. A travel wheelchair that only costs you a couple of pounds to buy may not be worth insuring. However, if it costs more you should always consider insuring it so you don’t fear any damage that may come along.
• Warranty. It’s also important to consider buying a travel wheelchair that comes with a warranty. This is because in case anything happens you can know what to do.
• Know what you are going to use it for. You also need to know what you are intending to use the wheelchair for. Are you are a regular traveller or you just travel occasionally. By knowing this you’ll understand the type of travel wheelchair to buy.
• Fit. It’s also important to ensure that you but the right fit. Make sure you try all the wheelchairs so you can buy the one that will fit your needs well.
• Comfort. It goes without saying that your wheelchair should be as comfortable as possible. You should, therefore, check whether the backrest of your wheelchair is high enough and whether the cushion is one that you can use comfortably for a long time.
• Weight. It’s also important to consider the weight of the wheelchair so you can ensure that it’s the best one. Remember a travel wheelchair should not be very heavy as you’ll be moving with it from one place to another.
• Price. Although the price of the wheelchair is an indication of quality you need to choose one that you can afford. You should not buy a wheelchair just for the sake of it but rather but one that suits all your needs and priced well.
Finding a good quality travel wheelchair is not always an easy thing considering the fact that there are so many of them in the market. Most manufacturers decide upon themselves to make some of the best wheelchairs. With so many of them in the market choosing the bets one can be a bit challenging. But if you find any that you think is good it’s very important to keep it inside the basket so you can review it later.