The Best Transit Wheelchair In 2021
Are you looking for a great transit wheelchair bargain? Check out today’s top deals below for the best wheelchairs for sale. Or to read our guide and tips on buying a transit wheelchair bargain, please click here.
Being a wheelchair user should not restrict your travelling. If you are using the best transit wheelchair, there are some simple ways in which journeys regardless of their lengths, mode of transport or destinations can always be made hassle free. But what is a transit wheelchair? Also known as transport, wheelchair a transit wheelchair is normally an attendant propelled wheelchair that has smaller back wheels. This means that the caregiver or the wheelchair user or the family member can easily and quickly enable you to move locations. This is according to transit wheelchair reviews.
However, just like other wheelchairs, a transit wheelchair can also be self-propelled. This means that the user can comfortably manoeuvre the wheelchair alone usually by pushing the larger wheels. However, these wheelchairs depend on the person having strong body and limps that can allow them to be independent so they can take care of their daily choices with a particular environment. If you are looking for the best transit wheelchair, click here to read our in-depth review of the best ones.
Benefits of transit wheelchairs
Also known as attendant propelled wheelchairs, transit wheelchairs are designed in such a way that they are supposed to be pushed by another person. Here are some of the benefits that you can enjoy by having one.
• They are easy to transport. Sometimes known as travel wheelchairs, transit wheelchairs are not only easy to transport but they are also built-in such as a way that they are compact and lightweight. Because of this, they are easy to transport from one place to another. Some of them also feature handles and footrests that can be folded down to further reduce their sizes. If you need more details about this read www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk.
• They are lightweight in nature. Most transit wheelchairs are constructed using an aluminium frame instead of steel. While this can increase the price, it just means that these chairs are lightweight. As compared to other wheelchairs they are also fitted with small wheels which can further reduce their weight. Since they have smaller wheels there is always better manoeuvrability for the person who is pushing them thus making them easier to lift as long as they are folded well.
• They are suitable for occasional use. Due to the fact that they are lightweight in nature, they are some of the best chairs that you can use occasionally. Many people sometimes feel tired or weak after walking for some time. It’s, therefore, reassuring for them to know that they have a transit wheelchair around that they can rely on for their daily movements. They can also leave them in the car so they can use them occasionally while travelling. This is according to National Wheelchair Services.
• These wheelchairs can be personalised. Another great feature of transit wheelchairs is that you can always personalise them depending on what you are looking for. To provide comfort users can also opt for add-ons such as arm and headrests and even fit attachable bags for storage purposes. Since they are customisable you can always create your own type of wheelchair to use.
What makes a transit wheelchair different?
The main feature that makes a transit wheelchair different is that they have smaller rear wheels. If transit wheelchair user does not have to propel themselves then there is no need for fitting larger wheels and rims are not needed. These make always make them less bulky to transport and store well. More so, having smaller wheels can also make them easy to manoeuvre in places where you cannot use other types of wheelchairs.
Types of transit wheelchairs
As compared to other wheelchairs on the market, transit wheelchairs are not only light in weight but are also easy to transport from one place to another. Here are some of the main types on the market.
Escape lite transport wheelchair
Having been around for a long time now this is perhaps the most preferred type of transport wheelchair. As the name suggests this type of transit wheelchair is not only light in weight but is also very easy to transport in a car. It also comes with leg rests and has a fully adjustable height that you can adjust depending on your preferences.
Orbit transit folding the wheelchair
This type of transit wheelchair normally comes with small wheels, removable armrests, and removable backrests. This makes it one of the easiest wheelchairs to maintain. Also, its footrests are removable and its height-adjustable depending on your needs. The only disadvantage about this wheelchair is that it’s not supplied with a lap belt. However, if you are looking for the best transit wheelchair, it’s perhaps the best one out there.
Lightweight aluminium wheelchair
A lightweight aluminium transit wheelchair is not only a super wheelchair but also one that you can always rely on. Its rear axle is fitted with four positions to allow the user to enjoy maximum comfort while using it. Its nylon seat and backrest are also very much comfortable.
As compared to other transit wheelchairs this one is a bit more expensive. However, when you consider the features that it has you’ll definitely get value for your money.
Modes of transport for using transit wheelchair
Whether you have an adopted car or not and you are a transit wheelchair user, you need to consider your own back care when loading and offloading. This should include being aware of the space around the vehicle at both ends of the journey and researching parking options so that you can maximise the opportunities on arrival.
The majority of public transport buses now provide a service that’s accessible to those who need specific assistance. The majority of these buses also provide easy access with lowered floors to support improved access for transit wheelchairs. Where journeys have been planned in advance it’s important to check with the bus or rail so you can ensure that your wheelchair is well taken care of.
In most circumstances, you can always use your transit wheelchair as far as the point of boarding the plane. At this point, you’ll be transferred to an aisle wheelchair. Your transit wheelchair will, therefore, be stored to ensure that you can easily access it when you come back again. However, it’s important to remove all the detachable parts and label it well so you can always ensure its kept safe when you come back.
Top tips when travelling by plane
Here are some of the tips to help you use transit wheelchair when travelling
• To make the transfer easier you need to request a seat with lifting armrest.
• Make sure you consider longer connection times.
• Make sure that your booking agent knows the type of transit wheelchair that you have.
• Consider attaching assembly instruction to your wheelchair in both the language of your destination and English as well.
• If you cannot mobile through metal detector you need to consider informing your security agent so that they can always make alternative security arrangements.
Top tips when travelling on a cruise
Although there is a general perception that there is limited space inside a cruise ship, most cruise ships always provide transit users with one of the most accessible international travel experience. Here are some tips to help you
• Make sure that your wheelchair has identifying information.
• Request pier assistance so you can be given priority while boarding together with your family members.
• If you require other equipment in your room such as commode ensure that you make the company know about this as soon as possible so they can make the necessary arrangements.
Travelling anywhere or around the world with your transit wheelchair can seem a bit hard hence can even lead to cancel of plans. However, with confidence and enough planning, you can always ensure that you reach wherever you want to in a safe way and use your wheelchair in the best way possible.
Basic parts of a transit wheelchair
nowadays transit wheelchairs come in many shapes and sizes. Normally when you see a wheelchair only you’ll notice that there are different parts that normally make one. Here are the main parts of a transit wheelchair
The frame of a transit wheelchair can always be compared to the chassis of a vehicle or the frame of a bicycle. The frame is normally made up of two sides which are connected together in the form of the cross brace. These wheelchairs are normally available in aluminium frames.
Back and seat canvas
These are generally made of canvas or any other materials out there. They are normally screwed to the chassis so they can strengthen the wheelchair. And provide a comfortable and backrest for the client.
Depending on the type of transit wheelchair that you are looking for there are usually different types of wheels that one can choose. These wheels are made in such a way that the user can push them around and use the wheelchair the way they are supposed to be used. Most wheelchairs also come fitted with two small wheels known as castors.
These are the parts of the wheelchair that the user can always use to rest their feet and legs. These parts of wheelchairs are always very important to provide the user with safety and comfort while using the wheelchair. Some of the footplates are fitted with calf straps that will stop the feet from slipping backward or forward.
There are two main types of brakes in a transit wheelchair. Although they are both located at the near the wheels, they can be used differently
How to maintain a transit wheelchair
Since your transit wheelchair allows you to be mobile and active, it’s only in order to always take good care of it. If you allow it to break down it can significantly inconvenience you. You can always keep in good working condition by taking care of all the problems that are there before they arise. This way you’ll ensure that you use it for long.
As the owner of the wheelchair, you are supposed to be the first person to know when the wheelchair is not working well. While you may not be able to perform the daily and weekly basic cleaning you can always set up a routine to be followed by your family members, caregivers, and others so they can always monitor your wheelchair for any issue that might be there. To ensure that your transit wheelchair is working well it’s also important to take care of minor problems as well.
Be organised and know your equipment
The process of taking care of your wheelchair normally starts on the day that you buy one. You, therefore, need to carefully read your transit wheelchair warranty and talk to your service provider about how to take good care of your wheelchair. You will be able to handle your transit wheelchair well if you have the following information and tools at your disposal.
You need to have a set of tools. As a wheelchair user, you need to always assemble and store a set of tools that you’ll be using every now and again. You can always attach these tools on your wheelchair or keep them inside push so you can have them with you wherever you go.
Get owners manual. An owner’s manual is special book that comes with your wheelchair that contains valuable information about your wheelchair. It what’s describes how you can always take care of your equipment and also includes the items that are covered in the warranty. Make sure you keep the owner’s manual in a safe place so you can always refer to it at any given time.
Certain maintenance procedures that you can do alone
As a transit wheelchair owner, you need to know that there are certain maintenance procedures that you can always do alone. Regular service includes checking the wheelchair tire for wear and tear, regular cleaning the wheelchair, tightening the screws and checking out in case there are any worn out pads, cushions, position n equipment or other things. If you are unsure about a certain procedure, then it’s important that you contact an expert. Here are some tips that will help you
• Keep your wheelchair clean. Keeping your transit wheelchair clean will not only help keep healthy and free from infections but also make it easier to identify any problems that your transit wheelchair may have as they arise. Make sure you use a mild detergent or a dishwashing soap to clean your wheelchair so you can ensure that it remains clean always.
• Check the frames. Always ensure that you check the frames and tires for any cracks or breaks that may need repair. If you notice that there are any potential problems you should not hesitate to report this to a wheelchair dealer. You also need to monitor the wheelchair upholstery for any cracks so you can fix them as soon as possible. If your wheelchair has seat cushion confirm whether it still provides the kinds of support and padding that you need.
• Check all the nuts and bolts. It’s also very important to always check all the bolts and nuts of your transit wheelchair so you can ensure that they’ve been fixed well. If you need to replace any parts ensure that you are using the parts that match the ones that were supplied by the manufacturer.
• By regularly maintaining and keeping your wheelchair you’ll ensure that it remains in good working condition for a very long time.
Check out today’s top 10 transit wheelchair deals below…
Top tips for buying the best transit wheelchair
• Since there are several transit wheelchairs in the market, it’s always important to know how to choose the best one. This way you ensure that you get the best one for your needs. Here are some of the tips to help you.
• Weight. As compared to other wheelchairs in the market, transit wheelchairs are built with the sole purpose that they can be transported from one to another. In order for them to serve you well, you need to ensure that they are as lightweight as possible. So you need to take their weight into consideration if you are looking for one to buy.
• Size of the wheels. Although transit wheelchairs have smaller wheels as compare to the other ones it’s also very important to consider the wheels when searching for one to buy. While the wheels should not be too small they should also not be too big as this will make them very hard to transport from one place to another.
• Design of the seats. The design and comfort of the seats are also some of the most important features to consider when looking for the best transit wheelchair. It’s, therefore, important to note the texture design and shape of the seat before choosing one. This way you’ll ensure that you end up with the best one.
• The width of the wheelchair. Similar to other wheelchairs the width of the transit wheelchair is a very important thing to consider when looking for one. So make sure you choose one that you can manoeuvre through narrow spaces with a lot of ease.
If you wish to reap all the benefits then choosing the right transit wheelchair is of paramount importance. However, once you get one that you love you need to keep inside the shopping basket so you can always review it later. This will ensure that you end up with the right one.