Wheelchair The Best Powered Wheelchairs In 2021
Whether you are looking for the best way to enjoy an independent lifestyle or a way to transport yourself from one place to another, powered wheelchairs can be your best option. These types of wheelchairs are great for the elderly and those who suffer from special medical conditions that prevent them from walking the way they are supposed to. In any case, it’s also a great thing to have if you are a lazy person. However, since there are several of those in the market, choosing the best one can be a bit challenging.
First things first. What are powered wheelchairs? Well, powered wheelchairs refer to the wheelchairs that are not moved manually but are pushed using the electric-powered stored inside batteries. Since these wheelchairs come with special features they are the best for those who are suffering from different forms of disabilities. If you are searching for the best powered wheelchairs click here to read our in-depth reviews about the best ones in the market.
Where powered wheelchairs originated
Although wheeled platform dates back to the 6th century BCE, one of the earliest references to a wheelchair being used in their modern design can be traced back to the 6th century CE. These are depicted in the Chinese arts carrying the invalids, children and even emperors. These manually pulled cart like wheelchairs were only meant for the powerful and the rich. Since they were made of wood and metal only a few people were able to make and use them. It’s, therefore, believed that this is what led to the development of the modern powered wheelchairs.
Benefits of powered wheelchairs
If you are looking to upgrade from manual powered wheelchairs then you need to understand some of the benefits of powered wheelchairs. Here are some of the benefits of powered wheelchairs that you need to consider.
• They are electrically powered. Although this may seem obvious one of the main benefits of powered wheelchairs is that they are powered by electric power. Since it does not need the upper body strength it makes moving the chair a lot easier. Instead of manually pushing the wheelchair for propulsion from one place to another you have a suitably placed joystick that will help you move it from one place to another. As long as the batteries have been charged well moving the wheelchair from place to place becomes very easy. This is according to National Wheelchair Services.
• They are quite easy to manoeuvre. As compared to manual wheelchairs, is best power wheelchair is quite easy to manoeuvre. Since they come with a tighter way of turning, you can use them to navigate through very small areas such as narrow paths and even indoors. They make it quite easier to navigate through the narrow doors, around the obstacles and even though the pathways that other wheelchairs will not be able to go through.
• You can use them to climb difficult inclines and terrains. If you are likely to be tackling rougher terrains then the best power wheelchair for outdoor use may be the best option. Since they have larger tires and higher powers that will get you through small hurdles you can always concur with any kind of terrain that you are out to concur. As compared to manual wheelchairs, it’s much easy to use powered wheelchairs when climbing a hill or encountering a hill inclines. Since they are designed to overcome these problems, they will comfortably take all the hard work from these.
• Height adjustable. One of the worst things about manual wheelchairs is that you are always seated at the height level. Whether you intend to reach a higher shelf in the supermarket or you need to sit lower at your dining table many powered wheelchair users can always change their seating heights the way they want. The good thing is that they can comfortably do this by just the touch of a button.
• They are suitable for children. Although initially it was thought that children could not use powered wheelchairs nowadays they can always comfortably use them. Since their upper body part is yet to develop children may have a reduced body strength that might not allow them to use their upper bodies. With the best compact power wheelchair, they will be able to comfortably move from one place to another with a lot of ease. Check here www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk
• The best-powered wheelchairs provide superior support. If you are a wheelchair user then you may have realised that feeling supported in your wheelchair is very important. Since you require less movement to control a collapsible power wheelchair you’ll enjoy better support and comfort for your legs, arms, body, and head. This will not only ensure that you remain safe but also provide better comfort.
Differences between a manual and powered wheelchair
As compared to a powered wheelchair a manual wheelchair is usually light and foldable. It’s also less expensive more reliable and, transportable and ensures that you remain fit while using it. On the contrary, although indoor-outdoor powered wheelchairs are less versatile in terms of volume and weight, they are some of the best options for those who are sick or those who have weak arms. This is because it will allow them to move from one place to another without any effort. They also come with different sitting options that they can use and they are a bit more expensive hence only a few people can afford and use them.
Types of powered wheelchairs
Collapsible power wheelchair
As the name suggests this is the type of powered wheelchairs that can be folded and made into a compact size. This is why sometimes they can even be termed as compact powered wheelchairs. The main benefit of this design is to allow for uncomplicated travel and storage. Other names include folding powered wheelchair, easy fold electric wheelchair, and even foldable electric wheelchair. These means they all have the same aim to allow them to fold into smaller and compact shapes that can be kept easily. This simplifies and makes it easy to travel with them from one place to another.
All-terrain powered wheelchairs
All-terrain powered wheelchairs have overtime evolved from the standard ones with oversized wheels to machines that are designed to tackle the challenges, obstacle conquering, and offloading. Since they come with many special features such as tank tracks, heavy-duty motors, batteries, beefed-up suspension and reinforced frames they are a favourite to many wheelchair users. According to the National Wheelchair services, the good thing about them is that once you get one you can use them to move outdoors regardless of the terrain.
paediatric powered wheelchairs
These refer to the powered wheelchairs that are specifically designed and meant for the children. Although in most instances they resemble adult wheelchairs they are usually fitted with components and positioning devices that are similar to those found on adult wheelchairs. Most of them will also have several adjustments such as seat width, backrest height, leg rest armrests among all the others. As long as the children are guided on how to use them they will quickly master the process and find that using them is much easier than the manual wheelchairs. This is according to mid-wheel drive power wheelchair reviews.
Mobility scooters are powered wheelchairs that are made is such a way that they look like a cart. Over time these devices have significantly evolved from three-wheeled models to four and even five wheeled models. To provide greater stability to the user. These wheelchairs typically use tiller controls, and seats that may tilt to allow for easier access. Many of them may even be taken apart to allow them to be transported from one place to another. Since these wheelchairs are powered, it means that you can comfortably use them to move from one place to another with a lot of ease.
How an indoor powered wheelchair and mobility power wheelchairs work
As mobile devices for those who are suffering various forms of disabilities, powered wheelchairs are some of the mist important means of transportations that they can ever have. Since they are easy to use they are widely used in most hospitals, homes and other places. These wheelchairs are usually composed of a battery, motor, wheels, control systems, armrests, seats, and pedals. Since they are easy to operate they can be driven by either the caregiver or the user. Since they have both power and manual steering you can choose the most suitable one for your needs.
These wheelchairs usually come with one or more rechargeable batteries. It’s, therefore, the batteries that power motor or motors which make the wheels to move. As a user, you only need to use a joystick to operate one. As compared to manual wheelchairs the drive wheels of powered wheelchairs are located on a single plane with an additional set and a pair or set they are also fitted with a range of suspensions struts that make the wheels to remain on the ground whether they are on even or even uneven grounds. As a matter of fact, many modern ones are designed in such a way that they can comfortably cope up with robust terrains and other types of obstacles along their way.
Power wheelchair brands
If you are looking for the best Motability powered wheelchairs here are some of the brands that you need to consider
EZ Lite Cruiser
This is a powered wheelchair brand constructed from light and heavy aluminiumallows that weighs only 30 kilogrammes. However, although it’s a very light brand it can carry even up to 250 pounds with a lot of ease. This new updated and collapsible brand now features an 8-inch grey rubber, wheels to provide it with one of the best tractions and 250 watts brushless motor. Simply put its one of the best brands out there when one is looking for the best-powered wheelchairs.
Voyager R2 by Forcemech
As a high quality powered wheelchairs brands Voyager R2 is perhaps one of the best brands found in the market. Without the batteries, this wheelchair weighs only 43 pounds. Apart from having a lifting capacity of 265 lb it also comes with standard two 200 watt brushless motors. In the front of the wheelchair, you’ll find shock-absorbing springs that will further boost your driving. It’s, therefore, one of the best-powered wheelchairs out there.
Pride Go-Chair Travel Power Wheelchair, Blue
This powered wheelchair has completely been redesigned to provide anew attractive and elegant look. As compared to other brands it comes in various colours hence you can always choose one depending on your tastes and preferences. It’s one of the best brands which has improved comfort and performance. The good thing with it is that it will allow you to travel lightly and ensure that you are always on the move. Since it comes with greater capacity of 300 pounds its elegant and bold look will make your trip very much attractive.
2019 New Comfy Go Electric Wheelchair
This refers to a high-quality wheelchair brand that incorporates safety features and controls such as a joystick, ultra-stable footrests, more stable rear wheels, and very strong construction. Since it has one of the best joystick designs it’s very easy to use even in the most difficult terrains. Whether you want to store or transport it from one place to another you can comfortably load it. To ensure durability and reliability all its parts have high quality wields.
LiteRider Envy Lightweight Electric Power Chair
This is a power chair that has been specifically designed for caregivers and end-users. To ensure that it easily fits into the trunk it can always be disassembled within seconds. As a matter of cat as compared to all the other ones the heaviest piece of this brand weights only 15 kg. Overall, it has a unique design and its portable hence can be moved from one place to another.
Power wheelchair manufacturers
When looking for the best-powered wheelchairs you need to know power wheelchair prices. Unfortunately, you cannot know this without knowing power wheelchair manufacturers. Some of the most common power wheelchair manufacturers include Invacare Corp, Ottobock Healthcare, Permobil AB, PrIDE Mobility Products, Sunrice Medical Inc, GH Health Products among others. However, before setting on any one company it’s very important to research them so you can be sure that they have the products that you need. By doing this you’ll definitely end with the best product. This is according to quickie power wheelchair reviews.
Check out today’s top 10 powered wheelchairs deals below…
Top tips for buying the best-powered wheelchairs
Since there is a variety of powered wheelchairs in the market it’s very important for one to know how to choose the best. Whether you want to consult a professional or consider your basic needs here are some of the tips to help you buy the best.
• Know your needs. This is perhaps one of the most important steps when it comes to choosing the best-powered wheelchairs. You need to consider whether you are intending to use the wheelchair at home or outside your home. By knowing your need you’ll know the turning radius
• You also need to decide where you’ll drive your chair in the community. You also need to ask yourself where you’ll be driving your wheelchair. If you travel a lot, then it’s very important to choose a strong, compact and powerful wheelchair. You also need to ensure that it’s sturdy and durable especially if you intend to use it outdoors.
• Know the powerbase placement. Since powered wheelchairs come with different powerbase placements, you need to know the one that you are looking for so you can choose the best. From the rear wheel to mid-wheel to front wheel you can always choose the best one that you need.
• Know the material that you need for backrest or cushion. It’s also important to understand the material that you need for the cushion and backrest. However, before settling on any materials it’s important to discuss all your needs with your care providers so you can settles on the best one. By choosing one that’s fitted well fitted with cushions you are least likely to suffer from pressure sores.
• Make sure the seat is right for you. Since you’ll be using the powered wheelchair for long you need to ensure that you’ve chosen the right seat for your needs you can always ask your doctor the correct seat position that you need to choose to ensure that you remain comfortable throughout.
• Power wheelchair prices and budget. Since powered wheelchairs are a bit expensive as compared to the manual ones it’s also very important to consider the price of the chair. This way you’ll ensure that you end up with one that you can comfortably afford without any issues.
• Consider the accessories. Whether you like it or not there are several wheelchair accessories that you need to enjoy using your powered wheelchair in the best way possible. It’s, therefore, very important to consider this before choosing any powered wheelchair. This will ensure that you get the best one.
So, that’s almost everything that you need to know about the best-powered wheelchairs. Always ensure that you know your needs and budget so you can choose the best one. It’s also important to keep any that you’ve found inside the shopping basket so you can review later. By doing thuis you’ll end up with the best one.