The Best Lightweight Folding Wheelchair In 2021
Are you looking for a great lightweight folding wheelchair bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying a lightweight folding wheelchair, please click here.
Wheelchairs can sometimes be a big pain to transport from one place to another. They are not only bulky and big but also when it’s time to take them to the car, fitting them inside can be one of the most difficult things. While lightweight wheelchairs may be easy to carry, they too can be a bit hard to fit into tiny places. However, the best folding lightweight wheelchairs can allow you to fold them into small sizes such that they can be placed in the trunk or the backseat of a vehicle.
As compared to other wheelchairs these ones come in either assisted or self-propelled options. They are also able to accommodate those who are up to 300 pounds. Comfortable soft and sturdy these folding wheelchairs also come with armrests and footrests that can either be removed or folded to give them even a more compact design. While you’ll find that most models have their own characteristics in most instances, the difference between them is quite minimal. For more information read www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk.
Models with larger wheel sizes can benefit from being able to be pushed on rough terrains. If you are looking for the best one, click here to read our in-depth review of some of the best ones.
Benefits of the best lightweight folding wheelchairs
• Storage. These types of wheelchairs for sale can be folded up and left in the boot of most cars or indeed inside your home. This means that they normally take less space than conventional wheelchairs. You, therefore, don’t need to keep them in a shed or separate storage space.
• Usage. The best lightweight folding wheelchair is also very easy to take up and fold up. When you want to use it you only need to unfold it and you are good to go. More so due to their sizes, there are several options available that you can use to travel with. Since it takes less time it can also be transported in almost any kind of vehicle.
• Car adaptations. With lightweight folding wheelchairs, you don’t need to carry out expensive car adaptations procedures such as having hoists or ramps. Since the folding wheelchair can be transported in any vehicle you can move around without planning a lot as long as you are ready.
• Carer impact. For a wheelchair user who requires carer support, the best lightweight folding wheelchair will enable them to store and lift the wheelchair in the reduced effort.
It can, therefore, be conclude that as compared to a conventional wheelchair these wheelchairs come with several advantages. More so, since they are easier to transport they can give you a number of options when you are travelling for one place to another.
Types of lightweight folding wheelchairs
Transport lightweight folding wheelchairs
These types of lightweight folding wheelchairs are designed in such a way that they are supposed to be pushed by others instead of the user. They have a small back wheel that the user can’t hold. This is why you’ll often see them in most hospitals and care centres. The good thing about them is that they will easily fold for storage. This means you don’t have to search for bigger space to store them. These types of lightweight wheelchairs can comfortably accommodate the weight of up to 300 pounds. This is according to National Wheelchair Services.
Standard manual lightweight wheelchairs
These refer to the kinds of wheelchairs that have large back wheels with push rim that the user can hold and push themselves. They are, therefore, suitable for those who have perfect use of their limps. These wheelchairs are not only lightweight but also folding as well hence can be stored without any issue at all.
Light and ultra-light folding wheelchairs
In the recent past, there has been a move towards designing very light wheelchairs. It’s now not uncommon to find wheelchairs that weigh between 25 to 30 pounds and light wheelchairs weighing less than 40 pounds. These chairs are very good for someone who travels a lot. This category has a large back wheel that the user can use to propel themselves. Some of the lightest ones do not have a cushioned seat.
Sports lightweight folding wheelchairs
If you want to enjoy activities such as basketball, rugby and other forms of sports then you need to choose these wheelchairs. The good thing about them is that you can always customise them for any activity.
These types of lightweight wheelchairs that are meant for children. As compared to other wheelchairs, these wheelchairs feature a light frame with a narrow shape seat. They also come with handles that can be extended to a height that will allow an adult to push them
Tilt and recliner wheelchairs
These wheelchairs refer to the types that can always be adjusted by the caregiver to the position that’s comfortable for the user. Recliner wheelchairs also come with a taller backrest that will make them comfortable when reclined upon.
Custom made lightweight folding wheelchairs
These refer to the wheelchairs that can be customised depending on the needs of the user. These are meant for those who must seat in the wheelchair for a better time of the day. Since they are lightweight and folding the users can always get around with them on a daily basis while using them. To provide them with the best comfort the user is always measured in detail before the wheelchair is designed for them. With these lightweight folding wheelchairs, you can always choose from the different options so you get the ones that you want.
How to clean and maintain a lightweight folding wheelchair to ensure that it last long
If you want your wheelchair to last long one of the best things that you can do is to clean and maintain it always. A wheelchair that is cared for well will be more energy-efficient, comfortable and easier to use. More so, a wheelchair cushion that is cared for will provide a sigh of relief.
Whether lightweight or not, all wheelchairs require period maintenance at one time or another. As a matter of fact, there are parts that require periodic repair so they can continue to work and function well. If you want to maintain your wheelchair in the best shape you need to carry out periodic action after inspection. This is why wheelchair service providers should provide the user with training on how they are supposed to maintain their wheelchairs in the best way. They should also provide them with the contact details of repair officials so that in case of anything they can get in touch with them.
Manual wheelchair inspection
For a wheelchair to function well the tires should always be properly inflated. If thetires do not have enough pressure inside them then the wheelchair can be lightweight but still very heavy to move from one point to another. The wheel and the tire will also wear more quickly if it’s not properly inflated before use. It’s, therefore, very important to check the pressure of the tires to ensure that they are properly inflated. Checking the tires of the pneumatic wheelchair should be done on a weekly basis to ensure that they are always in good condition. If you pump your wheelchair tire and it goes flat right way then it might be having a hole. In that case, you can either repair or replace the tube altogether.
Cushions are very important components of the wheelchair. However, as compared to other parts of the wheelchair they do not last long. The interaction between the body and cushion will determine whether the wheelchair user is comfortable or not. Remember, any deterioration in the cushion can increase the risk of developing a pressure ulcer. The first thing that you need to do is to remove the cover so you can inspect both the cover and the cushion. While inspecting you need to check if there are any tears. In case there are you should plan and replace them as soon as possible.
Nuts and bolts
Most lightweight folding wheelchair maintenance consists of ensuring that the bolts and nuts are adjusted in the most proper manner. You, therefore, need to identify any loose bolts. You should also check the moving parts so you can ensure that they do not rattle. Depending on the bolt you can always use wrench, screwdriver or Allen wrench to repair them so you can ensure they are in good condition. Do not forget to inspect your wheelchair nuts and bolts on a monthly basis.
Wheel bearings are the things that usually allow for the free rotation of the wheels. This means that if they are damaged they can increase a lot of resistance that can end up making you spend a lot of energy to push the wheelchairs from one point to another. After using the wheelchair for a long time the bearings are bound to wear up. When your wheelchair bearings are failing the first sign that will alert you is the noise. Initially, the sound might not be so much pronounced but after some time you’ll start hearing it a lot. If this is the case then it’s time to replace all your wheelchair bearings with new ones.
Through a lot of use of the wheelchair, the spoke can become damaged, loosed or broken. If there is one loose spoke it may cause the others to carry more tension. If there are loose spokes propelling the lightweight folding wheelchair can become harder and harder it’s, therefore, very important to inspect the spokes on a monthly basis to ensure that they are in good working conditions. You also need to confirm that the nipples are a good working condition at all times. Once you’ve identified the problem it’s important to contact a wheelchair maintenance expert to help you fix this.
This refers to the degree to which the wheels of the wheelchair are parallel to each other. Since the user pushes the wheelchair frames regular you need to track your wheelchair wheels so as to ensure are that they are properly aligned and are working in the best way. In case the wheelchair does not track well it means that it will drift.
Other things that you need to check, include the brakes, the hand rim, wheelchair caster, footrests among others. By taking good care of your lightweight folding wheelchair you’ll ensure that it last lost.
Check out today’s top 10 lightweight folding wheelchair deals below…
Top tips for buying the best lightweight folding wheelchairs
With several lightweight folding wheelchairs in the market choosing the best one can sometimes be a bit challenging. However, these tips should help you choose the best one to use.
• Your budget and wheelchair price. Just like any product in the market considering the price is very important when shopping for the best lightweight folding wheelchair. However, it’s very important to always balance the price with the quality of the wheelchair. One of the worst things is to buy a cheap lightweight folding wheelchair that cannot help you. More so since the prices can vary from one shop to another it’s always very important to try out the ones you’ve chosen so you can end up with the best.
• Your requirements. It’s also important to consider your needs. Once you know the amount of money you are willing to spend you should know how you intend to use the folding wheelchair for your needs. If you are looking for a speedy way to go shopping then you should look for an electric lightweight folding wheelchair that will not require you to push every now and again.
• Your lifestyle. Since wheelchairs cater to both the needs and lifestyle of the user it’s very important to make a list of the things that you need to do and the kind of activities that the lightweight folding wheelchair can help you enjoy. For instance, if your lifestyle is a bit active then you may need a wheelchair that’s totally different and that can withstand your needs.
• Preferences. Your personal preferences are also very crucial when shopping for the best lightweight folding wheelchair. For instance, if you decide o have full independence then you need to choose an electric lightweight folding wheelchair.
• Manoeuvrability. Transport wheelchairs are meant for moving from one place to another you need to buy a wheelchair that’s agile and that can be manoeuvreed in very small places. It’s also important to pay attention to the way the lightweight folding wheelchair moves so. You want to ensure that your wheelchair can moved from one place to another.
• Safety. It’s also very important to consider the needs of the user so as to ensure that the wheelchair is safe. If you are purchasing one for seniors who normally struggle to hold themselves up then you may need to look for features such as calf loops and seat belts that can make them move
If you are looking for great lightweight folding wheelchair, there is good news. Since the manufacturers have substantially improved their offerings of these wheelchairs you can always get one for your needs. With a variety of them in the market, you can always get the best one for your needs. If you are shopping for one its handy tip that you keep any that you find inside a shopping basket so you can review later.