The Best Folding Wheelchair In 2020
Are you looking for a great folding wheelchair bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying a folding wheelchair, please click here.
Wheelchairs are perhaps some of the hardest things to transport. Apart from being bulky, trying to fit them inside the truck can also be a bit challenging. However, the best folding wheelchairs can allow you to fold the wheelchair down small enough so you can place it in the trunk or the backseat of your vehicle. These types of wheelchairs come in either self-propelled or assisted options and they can be used to accommodate people who are anywhere from 200-300 pounds.
Comfortable soft and sturdy, all-terrain folding wheelchairs also have armrests and footrests that can either be removed or folded to provide them with an even more compact design. Although each model comes with its own perks, you’ll find that the difference between each model is usually very minimal. Models with larger wheel sizes can also benefit from being able to be pushed on rough terrains. However, the only disadvantage of these types is that they are a bit heavy hence are hard to pick up and put inside the car. If you are looking for the best aluminium folding wheelchair, click here to read our in-depth review.
Benefits of folding wheelchairs
Folding wheelchairs usually come with all the benefits of the normal wheelchair plus the fact that they can be folded and transported from one place to another. Here are some of the benefits of best folding electric wheelchair
• Storage. This is perhaps the best thing about folding wheelchairs. These wheelchairs can easily be folded and left in the boot of the car or just kept inside the home. This means as compared to other chairs out there they tend to take much less space. With folded wheelchairs, you don’t have to purchase an alternative or separate storage area. This is according to folding wheelchair reviews and National Wheelchair Services.
• Usage. As compared to other wheelchairs, the best folding wheelchair is easy to take apart and fold. Since they are lightweight they are also easy to place in and remove from the vehicle. Due to their sizes, they also have more options with travel. Unlike other wheelchairs, they can also be transported in unadapted vehicles with a lot of ease.
• Car adaptations. When it comes to a cheap folding wheelchair, you don’t require expensive vehicles or vehicle adaptations such as hoists or ramps. This is due to the fact they can be transported in any kind of vehicle.
• Carer impact. For the wheelchair user who requires carer support, the ability to dismantle or fold a compact folding wheelchair will enable them to fold and lift them with very limited effort.
• With deluxe folding wheelchair, you can minimise your isolation. With the best, you can significantly minimise your isolation. This means once you’ve booked your form of transportation you can prepare all the stuff that you need and get your folding wheelchair. Since this wheelchair can be folded and stored at the back of the car it will not get in the way. For more details, www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk
• You can go shopping with ease. With the best foldable wheelchair, you can always go shopping with a lot of ease. You just need to book the wheelchair and transportation and then wait so you can be picked from your house. Even if you depend on your family van moving from your house to the shopping mall becomes very easy.
With all these benefits, it means that folding wheelchair comes with several benefits as compared to other wheelchairs in the market, more so having one to use will also make it easy to use any time you want to go for transportation.
Types of folding wheelchairs
Lightweight and ultra weight wheelchairs
These types of folding wheelchairs typically weight between 25 to 40 pounds. They not only work well for travel but are also much easier to lift in and out of the car. These folding wheelchairs are often made with carbon steel, titanium, or even aluminium. They come with much small front wheels. With these folding wheelchairs, you can either push them alone or allow the caregiver to help you push them for you.
Standard folding wheelchairs
Just like the folding electric wheelchair, standard wheelchairs for sale also come with small front wheels and large back wheels. The only difference is that they have is that they weight much higher than the ultralight wheelchairs. For those who have enough body strengths, they are the most common types of folding wheelchairs out there.
Bariatric folding wheelchairs
These are the types of folding wheelchairs that are designed with heavier frames that can allow them to support those who weigh over 300 pounds. Made for ample weight disbursement these folding wheelchairs may come with a reclining seat
Tilt and recliner seat folding wheelchairs
These are the types of folding power wheelchair that is fitted with reclining seat these types of folding wheelchairs can allow the caregiver
These types of wheelchairs are often used in hospital settings hence are available for home use. These types of wheelchairs are quite different from other wheelchairs since they come with a small back and front wheels. This means that anyone who is sitting on them can easily propel themselves. The good thing with them is that they are lightweight hence are very good for outings.
The basics of folding wheelchair safety
When it comes to operating folding wheelchair then proper maintenance of the wheelchair is a very important consideration. Not only will these wheelchairs last longer but they are also less likely to cause any injury or even malfunction.
Another safety consideration is to always lock the brakes of the wheelchair before sitting own or getting in. if you fail to lock the brakes of the wheelchair it could cause the user to roll away or even fall. Once you’ve locked the brakes you need to lift the footplates before getting in and out of the chair to prevent it from snagging or tipping.
Before getting in the chair you need to ensure that any removable leg or arm support is securely locked in place. Once you are seated in the wheelchair you should also make sure that you have the hip safety belt in place even if you are not planning to go far.
If you are using a nonpowered folding wheelchair you should also avoid pulling on the doors since they could suddenly release and send you off balance or even potentially out of your chair. More so if you place a lot of weight at the back of the wheelchair, you could easily tip over. You should, therefore, be very careful when transporting things at the back of the wheelchair.
Another important thing that you need to do is to prevent children from playing with your wheelchair. Even using the wheelchair for a simple ride can end up damaging the wheelchair a great deal.
If you are moving with your folding wheelchair there is also a number of safety considerations that you need to know. First, you need to keep lap covers or any other loose items. This is because they could easily tangle you and cause an accident. If you are planning to use your folding wheelchair on the streets it’s also important to use a flag. On these make note if you plan to ride at night you should use both headlights and flashing lights so you can avoid causing an accident.
While using your folding wheelchair you should also be mindfulness or any steep ground where you could easily lose balance and fall. Remember your mobility is already compromised so you don’t want to involve yourself in more of this again. More so if your folding wheelchair is moving from side to side it means that you should replace the caster. It’s also advisable to avoid operating your folding wheelchair in the rain This is according to the National Wheelchair Services.
Regular folding wheelchair maintenance
• Regular folding wheelchair maintenance involves cleaning the wheelchair, securing screws and bolts, replacing worn-out tires and checking tire pressure, pads and cushions and positioning equipment.
• If you want to prevent infections and bacteria buildups, usually it’s acceptable to wipe down the chair with a damp cloth but detergents and other cleaners should be used for any spots
• Many manufacturers have also suggested that you should use apply wax on the frame of your chair so you can make it easier to clean and extend the life on its surfaces. You also need to have a sharp tool for removing any gunk stuck on the wheels or the casters. The axles and the bearings are also very popular places for thread and hair to accumulate. Instead of waiting for the junk to accumulate you need to use the tool regularly.
• If you want your wheelchair to always remain in good shape it’s also important to inspect the frame for damage including cracks, bends, and brakes. If there are any issues with these parts, you need to report this to any wheelchair professional to help you so you don’t compromise the integrity of your wheelchair.
• You should not forget to routinely examine the cushions of your wheelchairs especially the ones that usually come into contact with the body. Exposed screws and thinning cushions could end up causing you serious injuries over the course of several weeks or even months of use.
Check out today’s top 10 folding wheelchair deals below…
Top tips for buying the best folding wheelchair for sale
Since folding wheelchairs are lightweight wheelchairs that can be moved from one place to another, they should be as portable as possible. Since there are several folding wheelchairs out there, choosing the best one can sometimes be a bit challenging. Thankfully, these tips should help you choose the best one.
• Weight. Unlike other wheelchairs folding wheelchairs are meant to be flexible. This means that weight is a very important consideration when you are looking for them. You’ll want a chair that’s flexible and lightweight, easy to carry or lift into the car trunk and move from one place to another. Heavier folding wheelchairs are not as easy to transport as the other ones.
• Wheel size. As compared to the standard wheelchairs folding wheelchairs come with smaller wheels. Although smaller wheels will not deal well with larger terrains, they are easy to push alone and even fold.
• Seat design. Just like any other wheelchair out there comfort is a very important consideration when looking for the best folding wheelchair. You should ensure that you look at the size and shape of this wheelchair what is the seat made of? Is it flexible? does the seat come with large seams that might bother you as you seat? A folding wheelchair seat without padding can easily come comfortable. Ensure that you choosing a folding wheelchair that you can seat on for long.
• Width. Much like the walkers, the width of the folding wheelchair is a very important consideration. You need to consider the environment where you intend to use the wheelchair. Does the environment have narrow doors or twisting hallways? If so you need to look for a wheelchair that’s narrow enough and that can navigate the pitfalls with a lot of ease.
• Manoeuvrability. Folding wheelchairs are made to move so you should get something that moves with a lot of ease. You should look for a wheelchair that’s agile in tight areas and also has a good traction on the gravel, sand, and other none slid surfaces. You also need to pay close attention in the movement of the chair both for the caregiver and the user. You should ensure that the wheelchair that you buy is very easy to move from one place to another.
• Safety features. It’s also very important to think about the needs of the user while considering the safety features of the chair. If you have a senior who always struggle to get up, you should look for safety features such as calf loops and belts. These extra will ensure that the user is securely in the folding wheelchair at all times.
If you are looking for the best folding wheelchairs there are several of them in the market that you can always choose from. Since manufacturers have greatly improved their offerings of these wheelchairs, with convenient and better comfort, you should have no trouble looking for one. If you are shopping for one, it’s a handy tip to keep any that you find inside the shopping basket so you can review later. This way you’ll end up with the best wheelchair.