The Best Batteries for Wheelchairs In 2021
Are you looking for the best batteries for wheelchairs bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying the best batteries for wheelchairs, please click here.
If you are looking for the best wheelchair then the one with the best batteries for wheelchairs is the best. Apart from being able to operate it alone, this type of wheelchair will not tire you at all. But why? One of the most important things that make it easy to operate an electric wheelchair is that they come with 12-volt wheelchair batteries. 12v 35ah wheelchair battery normally serves as a power source for your wheelchair. If you are searching for the best batteries for wheelchairs, click here to read our in-depth review
Benefits and types of batteries for wheelchairs
The most common reason why wheelchairs are taken for service is because of 12v 55ah wheelchair battery, 12v wheelchair battery, and 24v wheelchair battery which sometimes requires topping up from time to time. Previously the life span of batteries for wheelchairs was quite short. More recently the batteries have moved from wet cells to seal wet cells and to gel wet cells which are lead-acid in the form of a gel. Apart from the changes in the types of batteries the quality of these batteries has also improved significantly to give better performance.
According to www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk, the newest evolution of AGM 35 amp-hour wheelchair battery lithium batteries. While these batteries are a bit expensive they can save you a lot of money later on. One of the advantages of lithium batteries is that they are around 50 % less in weight. They also provide a lot of power throughout the time between the charges and have much better life expectancies. As a matter of fact, they last up to 4 times longer than the lead-acid batteries.
It’s important to know that batteries wheelchair is not the same. Even though they often look the same, they will never work in the same manner. While automotive batteries are designed to give large amounts of power for a short time, wheelchair batteries are made in such a way that they provide only low amounts of power for a long time.
Charging of 24v wheelchair battery and 22nf wheelchair battery
Batteries for wheelchairs that are either undercharged or overcharged will not work the way they are supposed to. In due time, you will not only reduce their travel range but also their lifespan as well. According to the National Wheelchair Services user manual, you are supposed to charge the batteries every night especially if you use them every day. If you are using your wheelchair everyday then you need to charge your battery for wheelchair everyday so you don’t run out of power.
If you only use your wheelchairs around your home then you may get away with charging your batteries for wheelchairs once a week. Since most electric wheelchairs come with a battery gauge it’s very important to charge the battery when the gauge is showing that a half the power in the battery has already been used.
Batteries for wheelchairs also come with ideal usage ratio when they will last the longest. It’s ironical that it’s the batteries that are used a lot that are long-lasting. If you run out your battery wheelchairs up to around 5 % and charge it every time you may realise that you’ll not get more than 5 % of use before you need to recharge it again. Likewise, if you run it up to 60 % before charging it you may find that you get up to 60 % of usage before it requires charging again. This is always known as battery memory.
Batteries for wheelchairs chargers
All electric wheelchairs normally come with battery chargers. Since voltages can vary from one battery to another it’s important that only the charger that’s supplied with the device is used. Most chargers will have gauges or lights that will indicate whether the charge is on and is working or not. If there is a problem with the charging or the charging lights you’ll get a notification from the lights so you can correct that as soon as possible. If the batteries have been used and charged a lot most chargers may fail to work. However, all batteries for wheelchair chargers should be automatic and should stop charging once the batteries are full. This is what makes them safe to be used for charging the batteries at night.
Batteries for wheelchairs storage
For certain reasons it may occur to you that you are not going to use your batteries for wheelchairs for some time. When you are not going to use your batteries or you are not using them as often as you are supposed to you should still charged them at least once a month. This kind of charge is what will ensure that they remain active while not in use so you don’t destroy them. Remember, if you don’t charge them for an extended period of time you can either damage or ruin them altogether.
It’s also important to store your cheap wheelchair batteries and discount wheelchair batteries in temperatures that are approaching room temperature. If you are not intending to use your wheelchair during the winter then you need to store it in unheated shade or garage. However, once in a while you should bring out the batteries’ out to the headed area. If you cannot charge the batteries when out of the wheelchairs then you may also need to bring your wheelchairs indoors so you can charge them in the best way possible.
Batteries for wheelchairs replacements
Many wheelchairs for sale normally come with two batteries for wheelchairs. If you check out and realised that one battery is working but the other one is not, then you may need to replace the one that’s not working so that at any given time you have two batteries. Since the good lithium battery wheelchair may also stop working, the worst thing that you can do is having only one battery for your wheelchair. This is according to National Wheelchair Services.
Batteries fir wheelchairs warranties
Most batteries for wheelchairs usually come with a warranty. While the standard warranty is 6 months the average lifespan of a motorised wheelchair battery is around 2 years. In some instances, batteries have lasted even for up to 3 or even 54 months. Some new wheelchairs also come with specialised batteries that can only fit in specific products. These batteries may be warranted by the wheelchair manufacturers.
Understanding how the batteries for wheelchairs work
If you are an electric wheelchair user then you need to understand how the batteries work. Since you don’t have to replace them every now and again knowing how they work will make it easy for you to choose the best one for a wheelchair. When it comes to these batteries there are 3 maintain important components namely current, capacity, and battery type.
• Capacity. This refers to how much time the wheelchair battery can work. This is always expressed in Ampere-hours Ah. If a power wheelchair works at 10 Amperes it means that a typical cycle of the battery is around 90 Ah. This means that the battery can run continuously for up to 9 hours. This is the best since most people do not use their wheelchairs continuously.
• Current. The current refers to the rate of electron flow which is usually expressed in amperes. The higher the amperes the much better the wheelchair will perform over obstacles and uneven terrains.
• Battery type. The battery types refer to whether the battery is getting or wet celled battery. Although both of them can be used to power electric wheelchairs most manufacturers recommend that one use gel-cells since maintaining them is very easy. More so, there are several environmental issues that are associated with wet cell batteries.
Wet cell batteries
Although they have a lot of issues wet cell batteries not only have bigger capacity but can also supply more electric power and are generally affordable as compared to the gel cell ones. Because of this, they are the battery of choice for most wheelchair users.
Gel cell batteries
Gel cell batteries are designed in such a way that they are spill-free and maintenance-free. However, when buying a new electric wheelchair you need to make sure that you buy the correct charger for your battery. Failure to do this might end up destroying your battery for good.
Frequently asked questions about electric wheelchair batteries for sale
As an electric wheelchair user, you require very useful and accurate information that will help you in maintaining their mobility for long. Some of these include battery care, battery maintenance and how to charge the batteries. Here are some of the most FAQ about batteries for wheelchairs.
How long does it take to fully charge batteries for wheelchairs?
Although it usually takes approximately 8 hours to complete charging hoveround wheelchair batteries, some brand new batterers, and different brands may take even up to 10 hours. However, while when it came to charging the batteries it’s very important to ensure that you are using only the charger that’s meant for the batteries as using other chargers might end up destroying them in the long run.
How long will the battery last after charging?
Fully charged batteries for wheelchairs are expected to hold power for several hours with some potential range of approximately 20 miles. However, here are some additional factors that will determine the length of time that the battery will sustain its power.
Type of the batteries being used
• The age of the installed battery.
• The environment where the wheelchair is being used.
• The weight of the rider of the wheelchair.
Is there a way of determining when the battery is running low already?
Electric wheelchairs come with gauge lights that are normally located on the joystick controller. These lights will not only indicate the strength of the battery but will also show when the power of the mobile wheelchair battery is going low. Any time the charger is not being used the batteries for wheelchairs should be kept fully charged. This will not only maintain the batteries but will also keep them in the best condition.
When should you replace your batteries for wheelchairs?
Although there are a number of factors that you need to consider, a new set of batteries should last at least 6 months with some of them going for even up to one year. However, if the batteries suffer damage, experience a decrease in range or begin to lose power quickly then it may be high time you replaced them.
Check out today’s top 10 batteries for wheelchairs deals below…
Top tips for buying the best batteries for wheelchairs
Before you jump in and purchase your powerchair batteries, there are some tips that should guide you in choosing the one.
• Know the charging time of the battery. Every wheelchair battery will come with a slightly different charging time. In most instances, if it completely loses its power it may take you up to 24 hours to recharge it again. So it’s important to know the duration that it takes to complete t charge and how long it stays with power.
• Make sure that it’s powerful enough. If you are a wheelchair user chairs are you are going to use your wheelchair severally. It’s, therefore, important to ensure that your batteries for wheelchairs are strong enough to provide you with your needs. You should have a battery that will not drain all its power before you complete your journey.
• Know the age of the battery. If you are shopping for a used battery then you need to know the age of that battery. Although it can be hard to know the age of that battery there is a way that you can check its age by simply looking at the various stamps on its surface. By knowing the age of the battery you’ll not buy an already old battery that might not help you much.
• Check the battery for any damage. When shopping for any battery whether new or damaged it’s also important to check whether it has signs of any damage. As a matter of fact, you need to completely test it to ensure that you are buying the best.
• Know about the charger. It’s also important to know about the charger and if possible test it to confirm whether it’s working or not. Remember, any charger that’s not working might not help you in the long run.
• Check the compatibility. It’s also very important to check out the compatibility of the battery.
If you are shopping for the best batteries for wheelchairs it’s important to keep any that you find inside your shopping basket so that you can review it later. This will always ensure that you buy the best.