The Best Bariatric Wheelchair In 2021
Are you looking for a great bariatric wheelchair bargain? Then check out today’s top deals below. Or to read our guide and tips on buying bariatric wheelchair, please click here.
Those who have limited mobility often depend on high weight capacity wheelchairs such as the best bariatric wheelchair to get around. These heavy-duty extra-strong wheelchairs are normally built to last. Coming with solid extra-strong exteriors and frames made of the highest quality materials, these heavy-duty wheelchairs make the best investment no matter what size you are. You don’t have to let mobility become a major hindrance to what you are doing. That’s why the best thing that you need to do is to get the best bariatric wheelchair.
But what is a bariatric wheelchair? Also known as a heavy-duty wheelchair, this is the type of wheelchair with reinforced cross bars, extra weight capacity, and several other designs features that will ensure there is reliable durability to handle the extra. Whether it’s additional weight capacity requirements or just a wider seat plan, there is a wide range of bariatric wheelchair. In case your normal wheelchair makes you uncomfortable and cramped then the best bariatric wheelchair may be the best solution for you. It’s designed in such a way that it provides users with all the benefits that they need. If you are looking for the best bariatric wheelchair, click here to read our in-depth review.
Benefits of bariatric wheelchair
One of the most important things about bariatric wheelchairs is that they are designed for security and comfort. The backs and seats also have extra support and are made with heavyweight vinyl or upholstery material. They are much bigger than typical wheelchair thereby making users enjoy greater comfort and additional support for their upper, and lower back. The backrest and the seat can usually be titled to take into account an individual’s centre of gravity and to provide the necessary support where it’s needed.
Tilting the backrest is also important to users who may have suffered from pulmonary and cardiovascular issues and require a particular position to help them breath better. Developed either from reinforced metal tubing or heavy-duty PVC. This type of wheelchair is also made to last. With the best bariatric chair, you can rest assured that your chair is strong enough to take you anywhere that you need to go without the risk of breaking the chair or endangering your life. The whole design of the wheelchair including the footrest and the leg has been designed with larger users in mind. So with every stage of design of this chair, your comfort and safety have been put as a top priority.
How is a bariatric wheelchair different?
Naturally, bariatric wheelchair, whether electric or manual is different from other wheelchairs in a number of ways
First and foremost, the materials of construction used in their construction. Frames are constructed with aluminium reinforced steel and titanium. Seats not only come with extra reinforced durability but are also made of heavy-duty vinyl and upholstery. For more details on this check www.nationalwheelchairservices.co.uk.
For bariatric wheelchair users to be comfortable and ad positions the way they are supposed to be, while operating their wheelchairs, there is a number of things that must be considered. Due to this these wheelchairs come with seats that tilt to take care of their centre of gravity. Since each individual weight is different this is usually different from each person.
They also have an adjustable seat that is not only solid but also prevents them from popping or deflating and also provides the needed support. The footrests and the legs are also large enough to accommodate the user. This is very important in preventing skin ulcers that may be caused by chafing.
Another major difference found in a bariatric wheelchair is the location of the axle. Most standard wheelchairs for sale are usually designed such that around 80 % of the user’s weight is over the rear axle. This makes the work easier for someone who pushes the wheelchair. To take care of this trend, bariatric wheelchairs come with a forward-shifted rear axle that helps to keep most of them of the users’ weights over the axle. In case the wheels are located too far from the patient’s shoulder, it becomes hard for them to push themselves.
Who needs a bariatric wheelchair?
Someone who is overweight to the point where thee feel uncomfortable in the normal wheelchair should use a bariatric wheelchair. This may include those whose obesity has made it impossible or difficult for them to continue walking independently. Sometimes the need for this wheelchair is just temporary.
But if you are not sure whether you need a bariatric wheelchair or not you need to look at the health issues or the positioning that are described above. If you are suffering from pressure sores, breathing, and back pain the best wheelchair to use is a bariatric wheelchair.
Or perhaps weight may not be the main issue. But if the distribution of weight is causing issues such as discomfort, breathing problems or back pain then the best choice could be to get a bariatric wheelchair.
Bariatric wheelchairs, therefore, allow bariatric patients to maintain their autonomy and dignity. This means they can continue to be mobile and go places without sacrificing their health and comfort.
In health care facilities or hospital bariatric wheelchairs are indispensable. For instance when a larger patients need to be taken to a common area, exam room or other places they should spend even the shortest amount of time in a chair that’s ergonomically correct and safe for them to use. Using the normal wheelchair for such patients could result in falls and even other health issues that will not only affect the patient but also affect the reputation of the facility.
Finally, by using the right wheelchair transferring the patients is not only less strenuous but also easier to caregivers thus preventing any back injuries that may occur.
The main types of bariatric wheelchairs
Although there are several types of bariatric wheelchairs in the market based on their size, shape, and power the main ones are bariatric manual wheelchairs and bariatric power wheelchairs.
Bariatric manual wheelchairs
According to National Wheelchair Services, Bariatric wheelchairs can either be attendant propelled or self-propelled. These wheelchairs come with sturdy frame and features such as heavy-duty reinforced upholstery, wide seat flip-up armrest, dual axles and much more. These wheelchairs are majorly used in clinics, hospitals, and other health care facilities.
Bariatric power wheelchairs
These types of bariatric wheelchairs are also known as electric wheelchairs. As compared to the manual ones they provide a high degree of independence to bariatric patients. They may either be front, rear or mid-wheel drive. With each type having their own advantages, they usually get their power from rechargeable batteries and can be operated with the help of a remote device. Unlike all the other wheelchairs out there they are highly stable and also provide the comfort and safety that’s required the user.
Drive medical bariatric wheelchair
This type of bariatric wheelchair is perhaps one of the best bariatric wheelchairs out there. This chair is not only easy to use but also versatile and easy to transport. This means it has exactly what you need when you are looking for a high-quality transport wheelchair. The first thing that you’ll notice in drive a medical bariatric wheelchair is that it has a big burly design that practically radiates between ruggedness and stability. Although it’s not a very attractive wheelchair, they are really designed with aesthetics in mind. As compared to other chairs it’s a bit wider.
Bariatric wheelchair measurements
Seat width and depth
The seat width for bariatric wheelchair generally ranges from around 20 inches to around 30 inches, depending on the model that you choose. Also due to their design and size, these wheelchairs are generally heavy’ although they are more likely to come with solid frames most of them tend to fold from side to side
How to maintain bariatric wheelchair
Maintaining a bariatric manual wheelchair can be very easy if you have all the information that you need on how to ensure that the wheelchair is kept in top shape.
When you get your bariatric wheelchair you should
• Store the owner’s manual is a good place for future reference.
• Use car wax on the chair frame to ensure that the future cleaning process becomes easier.
• Buy a touch-up or tube paint to cover chipped paint or scratches.
• Learn how to change the tires.
• Buy a hand pump and always carry it with you wherever you go.
On a daily basis, you should
• Always wipe the bariatric wheelchair with a clean damp ramp.
• Lift the footplates up before getting in and out of the bariatric wheelchair
• Keep lap cover or loose objects from wheel spokes.
• It’s a good thing to always ensure that the brakes are locked before getting in and out of the wheelchair.
Every week you should
• Inspect the bariatric wheelchair wheels to ensure that spikes from the rims and axles are intact. And that rims do not bent.
• Clean your bariatric wheelchair axle housing of any dirt or debris.
• Make sure the tire pressure is ok.
• Confirm that the brakes and wheel locks are easily activated and secured on tightly on the frame.
On a monthly basis, you should
• You should check if there are any loose bolts or nuts.
• Check the wheels to ensure that they are aligned well.
• Check for easy replacement and release of removable footrests, leg rests, backrests and armrests.
• Inspect the chair frames if there are any cracks.
• Ensure that the quick-release axles remove quickly.
Every year you should
• Lubricate the folding mechanism of your bariatric wheelchair
• Lubricate all ball bearings.
• Lubricate all pivot points.
Check out today’s top 10 bariatric wheelchair deals below…
Top tips for buying the best bariatric wheelchair
As compared to other wheelchairs in the market bariatric wheelchairs are made with the aim of accommodating a wide range of body weights. Typically, they are meant for users who require heavy-duty carrying weights on a regular basis. Here are some of the tips to help you buy the best bariatric wheelchairs
• Take proper measurements. Before anything else, it’s very important to take measurements of the dimensions of the wheelchair. Since this is what will determine your comfort while using the chair. Although bariatric wheelchair width is very important this is not the only consideration to put in mind. You need to know the shoulder width, chest width, hip-width, seat to floor, seat depth and seat width. Having these measurements on hand can make the difference between choosing a comfortable wheelchair and any other wheelchair out there
• Consider the carrying capacity of the wheelchair. Since a bariatric wheelchair is designed to take care of heavier loads you need to concentrate on the carrying capacity of the wheelchair. With that said there are still lightweight bariatric wheelchairs and heavy-duty bariatric wheelchairs. So you need to choose one based on what you are looking for.
• Always pay attention to the comfort features of the chair. Bariatric wheelchairs are typically built from steel bodies then reinforced with crossbars to give them additional support. You’ll realise that there are differences in the materials used for the wheelchair. These materials may include leather backing and nylon upholstery. It’s also important to check the materials used on the wheels, footrests, and casters as well. Typically aluminium, steel, and iron are the choice materials for these places.
• Know the categories of bariatric wheelchairs. Since there are different categories out there, it’s important to know what you are looking for. From transport to an extra-wide wheelchair, heavy-duty to lightweight you should know what you are looking for before choosing one.
• Accessories. It’s also important to know what your bariatric wheelchair will come with. Once you’ve chose a new bariatric wheelchair selecting the best accessories is very important to ensure that your wheelchair works just fine. From all-weather gear, bags, cup holders, walking sticks etc there are several accessories that you can always choose from.
• Warranty. Since a bariatric wheelchair are a bit expensive as compared to the standard wheelchairs out there you need to consider whether they will come with a warranty or not. This will ensure that in case anything happens you’ll not have to worry.
With that said, if you are shopping for the best bariatric wheelchairs it’s a handy tip to keep any that you find inside the shopping basket so you can review later. This way, you’ll end up with the best one.